Americans Upset The Germans Again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkwombat955

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopping mad over World Cup beer deal

Roger Boyes, Berlin
May 23, 2006

IT is brown-gold and alcoholic but, then, in the scathing verdict of German beer fans, so is paint thinner.

The Germans are furious that Budweiser will be the official tipple for the soccer World Cup.
The American lager has secured a near-monopoly of beer sales inside World Cup stadiums and within a 500m radius of the grounds, supplanting more than 1270 domestic breweries.
And what most upsets the fans is that Budweiser - advertised as the "King of Beers" in the US - fails to meet the ancient German standards for purity, which stipulate that beer can be brewed only from malt, hops and water.
Budweiser uses rice in its production process and therefore fails to qualify as a beer in the German sense.
Budweiser's World Cup status is a slap in the face for a country that attaches such importance to beer production. When Germany was a patchwork of principalities and duchies, a sponsored brewery was seen as the stamp of independence.
"Most pubs don't even stock it," groaned Walter Konig, of the Bavarian Breweries Association. "Bavarian beer should be available in a Bavarian stadium - Munich - for the first kick-off.
"But what can we do? Budweiser paid $US40million for the concession even before Germany had been chosen to host the tournament."
Franz Maget, a Bavarian Social Democrat, has called Budweiser "the worst beer in the world".
This is more than a slanging match between brewers - it has become a kind of guerilla warfare for trademark lawyers.
One German beer, Bitburger, will be allowed some sales space in the stadiums when the tournament starts next month.
Since the Czech brewery Budweiser Budvar, which makes a stronger brew, contests the right of the Americans to use the name Budweiser in Germany, only the name "Bud" can be displayed.
But "Bud" sounds like "Bit", the name used by Bitburger. Budweiser's owners, Anheuser-Busch, have therefore had to allow some sales of Bit alongside Bud.
However German sensitivites were spared when protests from British World War II veteran forced David and Victoria Beckham to cancel a fly-past of Battle of Britain vintage aircraft as part of their weekend pound stg. 500,000 ($1.24 million) cup party.
Indeed the charity gala held at the Beckham's Sawbridgeworth mansion in Hertfordshire was a bit of washout, despite the presence of celebrities such as Australian super model Elle Macpherson, England star Wayne Rooney, and the Duchess of York and her daughter Princess Beatrice.

The Times

Fancy that, selling the shittest beer on the planet to the best beer nation on Earth. You guys know you shouldn't be doing this. The Germans will get drunk on that shit and do something stupid. Like invade Poland again...

Psst....
Don't mention the war. I did, but I think I got away with it.

I just dont get these monopoly's.

Now picture this.......Germany produce and consume more beer than Australia and are probably less supportive of Americanisation than Aust. Not to mention that Budwiser allegedly nicked the name from Budvar PLUS the fact it is a crap beer. Now imagine what Australia would think and do if they hijacked a sporting event here. I know that technically its not hijacking but I reckon I would make a stand.

Is this as a result of free trade? I have a funny feeling that is the culprit. I heard Michael Parenti saying that when you read "Free trade" read global monopoly.

Whatever, whatever......something stinks. :angry:

what are they complaining about, bud is much better than hinys anyway

Finite said:
[post="128417"][/post]​

What is hinys?

PostModern said:
Finite said:
[post="128417"][/post]​

What is hinys?
[post="128466"][/post]​

i can only think he means heineken... the 'dutch' beer.. :huh:

OT slightly

Im surprised that they are even selling beer in stadiums.

Beer + Football == Beer driven Football Violence unfortunately. Having just left the UK after 10 years and going to a few Chelski games - you cant buy a beer for love nor money at the ground.

RM

Ah, everyone continues to uphold the tradition of only selling shite beers at sporting events! Can't say that I've ever been lucky enough to drink a decent beer at a sporting venue ever...

It's a sad day in Germany when even there you get shafted!

roger mellie said:

Beer + Football == Beer driven Football Violence unfortunately. Having just left the UK after 10 years and going to a few Chelski games - you cant buy a beer for love nor money at the ground.

howdy all,

beer is liquid food for Germans, one can buy beer everywhere.
A Sports event without beer is not thinkable here.

Most of Germans can handle theire beer consumption very well.

Problems occure when people with high alcohol restrictions in there own country come to Germany and may not get along with that plentyful offer of alcohol.

We Germans call them "alcohol tourists".

Ill not mention any nation by name, but there are some with a special "weekness" about alcohol.

Beer is something additional for Germans, may be the main purpose for others.

Cheers

James Squire said:
Ah, everyone continues to uphold the tradition of only selling shite beers at sporting events! Can't say that I've ever been lucky enough to drink a decent beer at a sporting venue ever...

It's a sad day in Germany when even there you get shafted!
[post="128482"][/post]​

The Guinness at Lansdowne Road was fine despite the plactic cup.

RM

Zwickel said:
roger mellie said:

Ill not mention any nation by name, but there are some with a special "weekness" about alcohol.

[post="128500"][/post]​

Come On Zwickel, list them in order... 1 -10. :eek:

KoNG said:
Zwickel said:
roger mellie said:

[post="128500"][/post]​

Come On Zwickel, list them in order... 1 -10. :eek:
[post="128516"][/post]​

Jeepers KoNG - that signature is really annoying!

Anyway - still completely off topic

I will start the list for Zwickel

1. Engerlund
2. Almost Every other european country
3. Almost Every Scandanavian country
4. Almost Every Baltic Nation
5. ...

Simplified to "Every country EXCEPT Germany" .. :eek:

But according to http://sport.iafrica.com/soccer/news/303237.htm Germany vs Poland in the first round - that ought to be a good starer for 10.

RM

Zwickel was being very diplomatic, because Aussies and Kiwis feature pretty highly on that list.

A normal letter back home from an Aussie reads: "I can't believe how cheap beer is over here. You can get 500ml cans in the supermarket for about 50 euro cents each. We've been hitting the piss pretty heavily and loving the place."

Apart from the comment about the price of beer, "we've been hitting the piss pretty hard and loving the place" would describe Aussies on holidays just about anywhere.

During my recent travels in the west of England, I was disturbed by the number of locals I saw drinking Bud, Carling, Fosters, Stella Artois, Kingfisher and even XXXX (which they rather quaintly call "Castlemaine").

colinw said:
my recent travels in the west of England, I was disturbed by the number of locals I saw drinking Bud, Carling, Fosters, Stella Artois, Kingfisher and even XXXX (which they rather quaintly call "Castlemaine").
[post="128557"][/post]​

Well if its imported it *must* be better mustn't it?

Cheers
Dave

Most of it isn't even imported. Its license brewed swill which doesn't even resemble the already boring and bland international lagers it purports to represent.

I forced myself to choke down a Stella in a Pizza Hut (should have ordered coke) and it was sort of sweet & fruity like a Tooheys Pils or something, not at all lager like.

And the license brewed Kingfisher served in curry houses tasted like it was made rather too warm with Saflager S-23 or something.

Jeez, that sucks, glad I wont be there.
James Squire, I am sure that they sell decent beer at SOME sporting venues, although it is very limited. I recall that they sell Stone Pale Ale at San Diego Padres (baseball) homegames. That is the only example I can come up with, and its a bloody long way to go!
OT, but I gotta say I love your pic Roger Mellie, maybe I should try and find a pic of Postman Plod for mine! Devastated when he fell off the pages of Viz.
Back on topic, condolences to anyone going to the worl cup and has to drink Bud. I am sure that the Bitburger will sell out quite early in the game, and if ever there was a cause for beer fuelled violence, it would be trying to force the punters to drink bud, when there is so much other good beer they could be drinking, probably for less! I would throw a hissyfit, thats for sure.
All the best
Trent

My comments only apply to the lagers, and the young trendoids drinking them.

The real ales were fantastic - the highlights being a tour of the Severn Vale brewery in Dursley, Gloucestershire with the Stroud CAMRA group, and being able to wangle a ticket to the Bristol Beer Festival.
PICT0114.sized.jpg

Latest posts

Back