Americans Upset The Germans Again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead said:
Well if its imported it *must* be better mustn't it?

Moin folks,

eat shit, shit must have a very good flavor, millions of flies cant be wrong, arenthey? :blink:

Zwickel said:
Airgead said:
Well if its imported it *must* be better mustn't it?

Moin folks,

eat shit, shit must have a very good flavor, millions of flies cant be wrong, arenthey? :blink:
[post="128595"][/post]​

BUGGER :beerbang: spilt my beer laughing after reading that Zwickel :D
Does that mean some 'mega swills' are made for flies? :blink:

cleanup kegboard and hope it does not go zapp and re type. edit

bindi said:
BUGGER :beerbang: spilt my beer laughing after reading that Zwickel :D
Does that mean some 'mega swills' are made for flies? :blink:

sorry, it should not be misunderstood: it doesnt relates to the posts what have been written here, it only relates to the Budweiser beer.

Budwiser is acknowleged the worst beer in the world, although many peoble consuming it.

For us Germans it is like eating shit :p

Whoever it was claimed Germans don't have much of a sense of humour is wrong!

Zwickel said:
For us Germans it is like eating shit :p
[post="128622"][/post]​

Please do not give me another opportunity for a "Scatology" joke.

As it is, I'm limiting my post to the comment that Budweiser should not be allowed to sell their beer under that "stolen" name. At least not in Germany, so close to the original Budweis, just over the mountains, I believe.

At least the Germans will not be so silly as to believe that the beer sold under that name is anything like a real Czech lager original.

My 2 cents has expired. Luv the Budvar (or whatever name they have to disguise it under to sell it in Australia - How did that "naming" travesty happen here?)
Seth :p

Weizguy said:
How did that "naming" travesty happen here?)

[post="128696"][/post]​

Not Sure but now that we have "Free trade", anything is possible.

Did you know that someone bought the rights to the Neem trees. These have been grown in India for centuries and now they are supposed to pay royalties for everything they sell.

I believe also that someone now owns the rights to "Basmati rice" and the Yanks gave it a pretty good go at getting the rights to the name "Ugg Boots" when they came back into fashion.

The multinationals just want to own everything. Free Trade allows them to do so.

Be careful.... Someone might buy the name to your homebrewery and then you'd have to stop producing beer except under licence!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

ATOMT

AngelTearsOnMyTongue said:
The multinationals just want to own everything.

thats right, dont write to your beer label "Hops inside", may be youll get in trouble with Intel.

Free Trade allows them to do so.

It has nothing to do with freedom of trade, its the power of capital what allows them to do so.

sorry for being OT now.

Cheers

And whatever you do, don't come up with a name for anything that is even remotely similar to Moet & Chandon, or even dare to use an orange label. Moet & Chandon went completely feral with the lawyers trying to wipe out a small winery near Stanthorpe, QLD called Channon Estates. The fact that the guy who owned it was called Channon didn't save him in court.

colinw said:
And whatever you do, don't come up with a name for anything that is even remotely similar to Moet & Chandon, or even dare to use an orange label. Moet & Chandon went completely feral with the lawyers trying to wipe out a small winery near Stanthorpe, QLD called Channon Estates. The fact that the guy who owned it was called Channon didn't save him in court.
That is because they are p!55ed that Australia is sh!tt!ng on there wines :D

In this case the product of the winery wasn't anything even remotely like a champagne.

AngelTearsOnMyTongue said:
I just dont get these monopoly's.

Now picture this.......Germany produce and consume more beer than Australia and are probably less supportive of Americanisation than Aust. Not to mention that Budwiser allegedly nicked the name from Budvar PLUS the fact it is a crap beer. Now imagine what Australia would think and do if they hijacked a sporting event here. I know that technically its not hijacking but I reckon I would make a stand.

Is this as a result of free trade? I have a funny feeling that is the culprit. I heard Michael Parenti saying that when you read "Free trade" read global monopoly.

Whatever, whatever......something stinks. :angry:
[post="128413"][/post]​

OK guys, before you blame everything from budweiser in germany to the inability to get those stains out of your tablecloth on free trade, let's just look at things carefully...

Now, Budweiser secured the contract before the venue for the world cup was decided. Therefore, it could have been sold anywhere- well, any of the countries that put in a bid. The fact that it is Germany is immaterial to the fact that this is a very lucrative contract with the most wealthy sporting body in the world.

Also, this has nothing to to with trade, as this implies the German government had something to do with it. It was a private contract between FIFA and Budweiser, selling alcohol rights, which, as I have pointed out, involves a lot of money for everyone involved. Budweiser's economic clout meant that it gave the best bid (and, frankly, I'm not surprised this happened).

This is merely a business deal that occurred between two comapnies. This sort of sponsorship makes FIFA the incredibly rich organisation it is today- besides, putting on a world cup isn't cheap, you know.

It could have been Fosters though..............................
I remember staying in a Motel and a busload of German tourists rolled up into the bar extolling the virtues of Fosters, Carlton Draught and Tooheys light on tap, whilst understanding Germany's ire, I suppose being a German does not neccessarily make you a connoisseur of beer.

Hence the market success of Warsteiner (blech!)

James Squire said:
Ah, everyone continues to uphold the tradition of only selling shite beers at sporting events! Can't say that I've ever been lucky enough to drink a decent beer at a sporting venue ever...

It's a sad day in Germany when even there you get shafted!
[post="128482"][/post]​

Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane (previously known as Lang Park - and still is by traditionalists) only serves XXXX Gold. Yes that's right - GOLD - even in the Members' Bar! An absolute tragedy if you happen to enjoy beer for the taste. I now take a hip flask filled with bourbon to the stadium and buy a bottle of Coke when I'm in there.

- Snow

macr said:
That is because they are p!55ed that Australia is sh!tt!ng on there wines :D
[post="128793"][/post]​

Interesting point of view - how do you substatiate this opinion? Sales, Profile ?

Just Interested.

RM

MrMellie

In the UK, Australian wine sales have overtaken French wine sales. In terms of prestige, I'd say that French wines are still seen as the best, but the atrocious labelling puts off lots of consumers. You really have to know your wines to buy French wine, which these days is asking a bit much. Chile and Argentina are also doing really well. The French are worried about it, really. Link

Back on topic, you can get beer in British stadiums, but only in the corporate boxes etc. :p

Stuster said:
Back on topic, you can get beer in British stadiums, but only in the corporate boxes etc. :p
[post="128887"][/post]​

they still sell beer dont they Stuster..? you just cant drink at your seats.. i remember drinking beer at a milwall match. :ph34r:

Stuster said:
MrMellie

In the UK, Australian wine sales have overtaken French wine sales. In terms of prestige, I'd say that French wines are still seen as the best, but the atrocious labelling puts off lots of consumers. You really have to know your wines to buy French wine, which these days is asking a bit much. Chile and Argentina are also doing really well. The French are worried about it, really. Link

[post="128887"][/post]​

Staying OT because I know more about wine than beer (which doesnt say much)

Fair enough on the sales level - But thats only because as the article quite rightly states - supermarkets are where most wine is sold in the UK and the shielas are doing all the wine buying :huh:

Australian wine (as good as it is) that competes for the 3-5 quid market (which makes up a big % of the supermarket market stuff sold is the Nottage Hill, Wolf Blass Yellow, Penfolds Kalimna etc... in other words (to use the well worn phrase) - swill.

At the right end of the market - all but the top echelon of New World wines cant and dont sell for > 20 quid - because when compared on a like for like basis with old world wine that does (and always will) they dont stack up. Hence they get stuck in the 9 - 15 quid bracket and as a consumer thats fantastic - bargains abound believe me - its far cheaper to buy Aussie/Kiwi wine in the UK than it is here.

Anyway - who cares - thats wine - back to beer - I never got to a corporate box at Stamford Bridge but i know that the public bars were never open and you were herded out of the ground well away from any pubs - literally like sheep by cops on horses.

The Soccer World Cup will be a sh*tfest of violence - doesnt matter what beer they sell - or where they sell it - just put poms, poles, dutch, germans etc.. in the same place on the globe - add soccer - light touch paper and stand well clear.

RM

Not sure if you can or not these days Kong. They can certainly arrest anybody whose drunk going into the stadium. :angry:

A Millwall game hey Kong. I see. :eek: :lol:

RM, it's crazy really that wine there is cheaper than here. Wish international beer was a bit cheaper here.

Anyway, you're probably right about the world cup. From here

Last November, 53 Polish hooligans hopped in a bus and crossed the border near the German city Frankfurt an der Oder. In a nearby forest they met around 30 of their German colleagues for a pre-World Cup warm-up fight. After being arrested, they readily admitted the violence was merely "practice" for this summer.

Scary stuff. Wish I could be there though, even drinking Badweiser.

roger mellie said:
Staying OT because I know more about wine than beer (which doesnt say much)

Australian wine (as good as it is) that competes for the 3-5 quid market (which makes up a big % of the supermarket market stuff sold is the Nottage Hill, Wolf Blass Yellow, Penfolds Kalimna etc... in other words (to use the well worn phrase) - swill.

RM
[post="128914"][/post]​

Bollocks to that Roger.

I paid 12 squid for a bottle of Penfolds Kalimna back in 2001 from a reputable bottle shop (Unwins). And it is a wine I would not call swill in any way, shape or form IMHO!

I would agree that the cheaper wines are available and are usually branded with labels such as Red Ridge or Great White Humpback, generic labels as such.

Sorry to go OT but just wanted to clear that up.

Latest posts

Back