Americans Upset The Germans Again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE DRUNK ARAB said:
roger mellie said:
Staying OT because I know more about wine than beer (which doesnt say much)

Australian wine (as good as it is) that competes for the 3-5 quid market (which makes up a big % of the supermarket market stuff sold is the Nottage Hill, Wolf Blass Yellow, Penfolds Kalimna etc... in other words (to use the well worn phrase) - swill.

RM
[post="128914"][/post]​

Bollocks to that Roger.

I paid 12 squid for a bottle of Penfolds Kalimna back in 2001 from a reputable bottle shop (Unwins). And it is a wine I would not call swill in any way, shape or form IMHO!

I would agree that the cheaper wines are available and are usually branded with labels such as Red Ridge or Great White Humpback, generic labels as such.

Sorry to go OT but just wanted to clear that up.
[post="129075"][/post]​

I'm with TDA on this one RM. Penfold's Kalimna is an Australian 'standard' - sure it isn't absolutely top shelf in the Hill of grace or Grange bracket, but it is in no way 'swill'. The 'Rawson's Retreat' is the budget Penfold's. perhaps you were referring to that. Even still a decent drop at the price I would argue...

But back to beer... ;)

Shawn.

Even further OT - im sure i will be banned soon.

Bollocks (Context - Utter Bollocks :p )

macr said that Aussie wine was Shi##ing all over "their" wines - I imagined this to mean French/German wines - generically "Old World"

So I asked in what regard - Sales, Profile ... ? But Quality? Nah - not even close - in fact in a good year in europe the gap widens further.

Undeniably they out sell french wines in UK supermarkets - thats because they are cheap primarily. Chilean, Argentinian, Hungarian wines are cheap too.

I stand by wot I said - except I got it wrong with Kalimna - I meant Koonunga Hill - regulary available for < 5 squids. Along with Oxford Landing, Wyndam 555, I never saw Rawsons Retreat while i was there but there are shedloads of them. I think Jacobs creek outsells them all.

Capture_112.gif
Capture_113.gif

My point is - they "give away" Australian wine in the UK because if they didnt it wouldnt sell. The upper echelon of aussie wine doesnt sell much in the UK - because the parallel priced french stuff is superior.

Yes you do need to know what you are looking for - but the same goes for most things.

RM

(Dons asbestos coat)

roger mellie said:
My point is - they "give away" Australian wine in the UK because if they didnt it wouldnt sell. The upper echelon of aussie wine doesnt sell much in the UK - because the parallel priced french stuff is superior.

Yes you do need to know what you are looking for - but the same goes for most things.

RM

(Dons asbestos coat)
[post="129088"][/post]​

Quite right RM, apologies for staying OT... I spent quite a while in the UK & Ireland and Australian wine there is for quaffing. I guess I'm old school, but you can't compare the 300+ year old vines of the 'Old World' vineyards to our 30 year old versions (even our 100 year old versions, which are very rare).
Old World wines will always have a decent edge on what Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and the Napa Valley can produce.

As for Budweiser in Germany - the whole deal was stitched up before the host nation was decided (as already mentioned), so Bud would have been served wherever the Cup went. I tasted a Bud while living in Ireland (it seems to be second only to Heineken there) and I am still trying to cleanse my taste buds...what a rotten excuse for beer!
I feel sorry for the local German population, having to put up with the crap while they're at the game, but they can at least retire to their local Brauhaus and top up when their home... Lucky buggers. ;_)

I thought I saw Penfolds Grange voted the worlds best by respected judges

Old world = inefficient practices & overpriced wines

Cheap doesn't always mean lesser quality

Linkety link ....................... http://www.penfolds.com/news/awards/

I don't think it is valid to run down Australian wine because they haven't been doing it for 5 thousand years & ferementing in yaks bladders & oak blessed by the pope himself & stomped by teams of virginal French nuns

In fact it is just plain ignorant

Cheers

Anyone know what %age the Badweiser they would serve at the WC would be.

I always thought it was weak as pi55 but probably just because it tastes like pi55.

It could have advantages Hooliganismwise as overall there is probably going to be less drinking than if there was good beer available!

???

:blink:

ATOMT

roger mellie said:
bargains abound believe me - its far cheaper to buy Aussie/Kiwi wine in the UK than it is here.
[post="128914"][/post]​

Since when? Case in point - Lindemans Bin65, often $5-6 here, sells for about 4-5 pounds. That's about $10-12. If you're talking about relative cost compared to income, fair enough, but there's no way it's cheaper.

If i could seriously find this magical wine that was cheaper in the UK than Aus after exchange, i would have bought it as i was going on about how good Aus wine is to our family there - and then couldn't find anything decent, so ended up buying some Spanish and Italian stuff.

Anyway, back on topic, at least they might be selling Bitburger for some reason - shame that mostly everyone will have to drink the crappy Bud.

If we are lucky Bud won't make back the money they spent on the bid, then hopefully they won't sponser the WC again...........or if we are really lucky any sporting event outside of the US! :beer:

but there will be a lot of thirsty people in the stadiums, so not sure how long they'll hold off before selling there soul to the "King of Megaswill" ;)

I don't think it is valid to run down Australian wine because they haven't been doing it for 5 thousand years & ferementing in yaks bladders & oak blessed by the pope himself & stomped by teams of virginal French nuns

ROFLMAO :lol:

Beerpig said:
I thought I saw Penfolds Grange voted the worlds best by respected judges

The field is to big to be superlative about what is "The Worlds Best". Some Wineries simply enter wine into as many "wine shows" until they gather enough medals to embelish their product and branding.

Beer falls into the same category - jeepers - I had a DB Export Gold last Xmas when I was back home - said it had won the best lager at some "Biere du Monde" competition - now that was "utter bollocks".

Penfolds Grange is excellent - I have had several over many years - the last an '82. Here are my tasting notes - unashamedly an anorak.

Nose of spices, leather, earth jumps out from the glass, complex and intense, palate is broad with mineral, spicy chax still firm tannins and lovely developed fruit, quite mellow on front palate, a slight loss of mid palate concentration but powerful back. long intense finish - absolutely stunning length than hangs on with strong tarry influence - superb. This is some wine for its age just loses it on upfront concentration - 95/100

RM

who cares about wine this is a beer brewong forum and those poor germans with that bud crap will proberly be hitting the schnapps in there hip flasks

the jagermiester will be happy

Jazman said:
who cares about wine this is a beer brewong forum and those poor germans with that bud crap will proberly be hitting the schnapps in there hip flasks

[post="129137"][/post]​

Exactly, Sod off with all this wine tossing shit.
Who gives a F*^K about Budweiser @ the world cup proper when we've got Home brew and SBS to fill the gap.
: :ph34r:

Self-Rogered Mellie.

You are indeed very high brow.

Beer forum gets turned to wine. Hope you don't wind up like us plebians. We should try and act a bit more "old school tie". :blink:

Warren -

With the risk of going back OT (well, with the certainty of doing so . . .)

First of all . . . why does everyone have to say 'The Old World' when referring to Europe? I really hate that label. It makes you sound so American. :p

I think there's truth on both sides of the wine front here. Yes, there is a part of the French wine making industry that is superior to practically anywhere else in the world. If you have a good vintage Pomerole or some such you are really getting a treat out of the ordinary with some taste complexities that are just mind-boggling. However, for one of the good bottles you'll be lucky to find it at anything less than 40/$90. The only reason I've had it is because my dad tends to get good wines as presents from business partners. He'd never dream of paying that sort of money for a bottle of wine himself.

Personally I have bought a fair bit of Australian wine over the years and have found most of them very good indeed. Sure, it may not live up to the aforementioned Pomerole, but even a really good Australian bottle can be had for something like 60-70 kroner/$13-15 and is easily a pleasure to drink.

As I see it, we're not just talking about a question of 'It's the cheapest so that's what I'll have' but much more a question of going for price value. If you buy a French wine at the price you can get an Australian wine for, I would say you are very likely to get the better wine by buying the Australian one.

The high prices of French wines are not really down to the axiom 'Old world = inefficient practices & overpriced wines' A hell of a lot of the French wineries are as modernised by now as any you will see anywhere in the world. It is just that in order to cater to some of the wine snobs it makes better sense for them to keep an outward appearance of their production process being the same as it was 200 years ago. Fact is, this is very, very rarely true.

A large part of what creates higher prices for French wines has to do with supply and demand. There is a large demand for French wines practically everywhere in the world, and this does mean that there is money to be made on the labelling of a wine as being 'French.' Sure, quality plays into it, but no matter how good a wine gets I will never, ever pay 150 for a bottle of the stuff. If we were only talking quality/price, then the natural assumption would have to be that the wine at 150 would have to be around 4 times better than the one at 40 (that is if we could actually quantify quality numerically, which I do appreciate is impossible) or that we would derive 4 times as much pleasure from the more expensive bottle. Would we? Hell no. A large part of it has to do with snobbery. There's prestige in ordering an expensive bottle (for some at least, personally I couldn't give a shit) and often that is why they do it. The price of some of these very expensive wines is further upped by a low supply, meaning that it is actually as much the low supply as it is the quality that determines its high price. In essence, you could say that if you buy a bottle of expensive wine, you will often be paying a relatively high percentage of the price because it is in short stock, rather than paying for the quality of the drink.

Personally I think Australia is doing damned well with its wines. I've had some great drinks that I would say easily live up to and surpass comparable European wines.

Back on topic now: Damn it, I hate Bud!

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

And now Bud have upset the Dutch.

From here

As many as a thousand Netherlands World Cup fans had to turn in their pants before entering a stadium in Stuttgart, Germany because the orange team pants carried a logo for a Dutch Brewery, UPI reports. Since Budweiser owns exclusive beer advertising and promotional rights at the World Cup, that's not allowed, so stadium officials made the Dutch fans shed their logos - pants - before they could enter.

Doc

"But we are proud of Budweiser and what it's about. We think this is about giving consumers a choice."

:D HAHAHA oh mercy

Shed your pants and buy a beer...........would you like Budweiser or Budweiser? Its ok you have a choice

"But we are proud of Budweiser and what it's about. We think this is about giving consumers a choice."

:D HAHAHA oh mercy

Shed your pants and buy a beer...........would you like Budweiser or Budweiser? Its ok you have a choice
How about being told ... We have EVERYTHING. Bud, Miller AND Coors.

Back