American Double Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
I have a plan for a American double IPA and would like some thoughts from people who have familiarity with large late hopping on trying to "balance" this beer. I am going for a "less is more" approach to the grain bill as I don't much fancy overly caramely / sweet IPA's.

I have worked around the recommended balance / BU:GU values but not sure how appropriate these numbers are when you get into large late hop additions

Malt bill:
20 Litre out of fermentor
95% Maris Otter
5% Medium Crystal
OG 1.070
SRM ~ 8 - 10
mashing around 67oC
Yeast - US-05
FG 1.012

Hopping - Idea was to have equal contribution of IBO at each addition (around 6 IBUs)
Co = Columbus (14.4%AA), Ca = Cascade (5% AA)

60 - 5gm Co
55 - 5gm Co
50 - 4gm Co - 2gm Ca
45 - 4gm Co - 2gm Ca
40 - 3gm Co - 5gm Ca
35 - 2gm Co - 9gm Ca
30 - 1gm Co - 13gm Ca
25 - 17gm Ca
20 - 20gm Ca
15 - 24gm Ca
10 - 32gm Ca
05 - 57gm Ca
00 - 60gm Ca (no theoretical IBU, but there will be some while i whirlpool / immersion chill to around 60oC)

Final IBU of 70.

Dry hop is 2 weeks of 35gm Co / 35gm Ca done on 3 seperate occassions in secondary.

Not settled on the dry hopping schedule as yet

Thoughts?

Cheers in advance

:beer:

Its just my two cents, but with an OG of 1070, I think it's still in IPA territory/(upper limits there of). I reckon you need to be nudging closer to 1.090 plus region.

Cheers SJ

make life easier for yourself, do one bittering addition and steep the rest after flameout. i bet you won't notice any difference.

i like the look of your grist but you might also consider a bit of melanoidin for a bit of extra malt guts without the crystal malt sweetness. not that maris otter won't be malty, but you might think about turning up the sub-bass a bit to anchor the treble of all that cascade.

Its just my two cents, but with an OG of 1070, I think it's still in IPA territory/(upper limits there of). I reckon you need to be nudging closer to 1.090 plus region.

Cheers SJ

yep, this is what I was thinking. Try Munich I or similar to bolster up the malt backbone.if you use 25% munich, you can drop the crystal, and you get malt, without cloying caramel detracting from a good layered hopping schedule. Also, with a 1070, i'd be shooting for 85+ IBU, but this is a preference thing.

Personally for a double Ipa I'd be looking @ around 1090 and 90-100ibu and dry hopping the bejesus out of it... Say 4-5g/L at minimum.

IMO 1070 and 70 ibu is really only an ipa.

I'd aslo simplify the hop additions a bit, just for an easier brewday. But nothing wrong with the multilayered approach if you want to be constantly throwing in hops.

You might want to take a look at mashing a bit lower as well. You might struggle to get 83% attenuation (1.070 to 1.012) out of US-05 from a 67C mash. I'd be looking at 65 or maybe replacing some of the malt with sugar.

yep, this is what I was thinking. Try Munich I or similar to bolster up the malt backbone.if you use 25% munich, you can drop the crystal, and you get malt, without cloying caramel detracting from a good layered hopping schedule. Also, with a 1070, i'd be shooting for 85+ IBU, but this is a preference thing.

What about the rye Maple??? ;)

Latest posts

Back