The perfect IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taeanbrewer

Reaction score
Ok so I have had plenty of IPAs and for every great one I have 2 or 3 bad ones to my taste buds. I have come to realise I dislike bitter full bodied ones ie brittish ones or unbalanced hops with largely bittering hops. So I guess I don't want to use maris otter base malt or add crystal.

So anyway I want to design a soft clean bodied IPA with a balanced hop bill not dominated with bittering hops and instead citrus, pine, tropical fruit flavours.

How does this sound?

88% pale malt
7.5% pale wheat malt
4.5% rye malt

All weyerman

05 yeast

Mt hood bittering hops
Mosaic flavour & aroma

Asking for thoughts from people who enjoy the same style of IPAs and what works for them.

Cheers

Sounds good. Simcoe works well for bittering. I guess it sounds like you probably want a few late additions, eg 20,10,5,flameout.

For bittering you could also split over 60, 45,30min so as to not have a big heap if bitter hops at 60min. Simcoe would be fine either way IMO.

Citra would be a good one to throw in as well, and maybe Amarillo.

Consider also your mash and target FG. I can't stand the Sierra Nevada 'harvest' beers as they are too high in gravity and have too much crystal. I think your grain bill is good, though IMO Munich II is a good addition. Maybe have mash temp around 63-64C for 45min and 71C for 15min so it's reasonably dry but still has some texture.

17_2_2015_Bee ale (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 6.7 (EBC): 13.2
Bitterness (IBU): 35.6 (Average)

98.04% Pale Ale Malt, 10kg
1.76% Crystal 80, 180g
0.2% Roasted Barley, 20g

1.2 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) 60g
0.9 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) 45g
0.6 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) 30g
0.6 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) 30g
1.2 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) 60g

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 120 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

This is what I am drinking now and it sounds like what you are after. Done a few that are similar, exchanging simcoe centennial for amarillo, vice-versa, but all had the citra at the end and were all the bomb. That was a 50L batch using easy whole numbers for ingredients. So I wouldnt get too hung up if you get numbers with decimal points.

P.S. added weights on each ingredient.

I like to use a small bittering addition and then only flameout...

works a treat.

I had a vale ale IPA last night. That's the direction I'm heading for mine.

Thanks all for the tips so far. I have liked many IPAs with amarillo, centennial and citra though the recent skully red ipa from murrays with mt hood and mosaic hops blew my mind as it was right to my taste buds. I just bought 6 IPAs from my craft brew shop to try to hit the spot.

Think I will take the small bittering hop idea with flameout hops as I do the no chill method and then max dry hop in the keg.

Anyone Use BB pale malt as their staple base malt for IPAs as it is around half the price of every other malt?

Yep, I do.
I like it. BB Pale is more a Pilsner, so you may want some Munich in there, or use BB Ale.

And for an APA/IPA, nothing wrong with BB wheat either...

Back