American Brye Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Doesn't fit any listed catergory, but just got the urge to brew a beer using all my wheat malts.
What do you reckon?... Interesting?... Awful?... Comments, ideas welcomed...

American Brye Wheat

Type: All Grain
Date: 25/01/2007
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 17.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (13.8 EBC) Grain 17.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 17.5 %
1.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 17.5 %
0.50 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 8.8 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.6 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
50.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
40.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (CraftBrewer #US-56) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 26.9 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 36.7 EBC Color: Color

Cheers Ross

If anything it looks like an american dunkelweizen.

How are you going to sparge?

Yumbo! :beerbang:

Save a few pints for Batz Ross :party:

Batz

If anything it looks like an american dunkelweizen.

How are you going to sparge?

Slowly... not going to use rice gulls, I'll just dig a hole straight through if she sticks :)

cheers Ross

Almost 100% wheat with some Rye. Nice.
Should be great. Only one I've done was a 100% Wheat Porter and it was pretty good.
Liberty is a hop I've enjoyed in my beers, and should be good in a wheat.

Do it.

Doc

Go for it :beerbang:

Ive currently got a dunkelweizen in primary with the same hop schedule but only bittered to 18 IBUs.

Looks great Ross... like a hazy rye flavoured brown wheat. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes, have been interested in brewing something similar for a while now.

Brewed the American Brye yesterday...

As predicted, the sparge was a friggin nightmare, but not quite in the way anticipated.
I set the runoff into the kettle at a nice slow rate & she went fine, until the liquid in the mash tun dropped to approx 1" over the grain, then she stopped. No problem me thinks, just dig a hole throught the grain and let it through (I have a fine mesh bag over the end of my hose, so no large grains solids get into the kettle) - Well I dug the hole through to the false bottom & nothing, so enlarged quite dramtically & still nothing - "Bugger, must be the outlet blocked", So blew up through the lines to clear any foriegn matter & then let it run into a collection jug to clear - approx half a cup flowed back out & then NOTHING!!!. Tired of messing around, I added the 2nd mash out addition, stirred & ran till clear - no problem - so set the runoff into the kettle nice & slow & left it. Well bugger me, the 2nd runoff did exactly the same, leaving me well short in the kettle. Nothing I did would get it to flow, it would appear the wort viscousity just wouldn't let these final runnings through - maybe the runnings were cooling & getting thicker, I'm not sure. Ended up adding an unplanned extra 5L of hot water, restirring & dumping. The boil volume was still a couple of litres short, but decided, "bugger it" as time & patience were waning. Boiled my usual hard rolling boil for 90 mins & blow me down, I ended up with 2L (29L) more than the 27L planned, go figure :blink: - I had set my efficiency at 10% below normal (75% against 85%) as a precaution against poor conversion on a single infusion batch with all wheat/Rye; but amazingly final gravity was right on the money, with me getting 82% basis the 29L final volume, which was way above the anticipated 75% on 27L...
So I guess all's well that ends well :)
Now just hope the final product was worth the headaches...

cheers Ross

How did this one turn out Ross? Any plans for a repeat/rehash?

Does anyone that's tried it wish to offer some tasting notes?

How did this one turn out Ross? Any plans for a repeat/rehash?

Does anyone that's tried it wish to offer some tasting notes?

Turned out fine - A very easy drinking ale. Slightly tart from the wheat & a nice spicyness from the Liberty; but what was surprising, is the rye is almost unnoticable. In other rye beers I've tried the rye give a real earthy taste to the brew, but not in this one. It won't be a regular on tap, b ut I'm certainly enjoying it.

cheers Ross

Can you describe the dark wheat flavours that came through? I am very curious! :D

Latest posts

Back