Amber Ale style Anzac beer thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Golden Syrup is an inverted sugar syrup, so no need for the lemon to convert the sucrose.

Look forward to the recipe, will be interesting to compare.

Looking forward to hear how these go, got my grain bill a couple days ago, probably putting down on thursday evening, bottled out should be ready for the 25th April which is when we are also celebrating my daughter's 21st. Double whammy :chug: :super:

Pitched the yeast on my mine today, it's got exactly 1 month to ferment & bottle condition for drinking on ANZAC day.
I added some coconut to the mash & it smelt great. Not that fussed whether it is apparent in the final beer.
I will be bulk priming with golden syrup.

My recipe;

23 L
OG - 1.060
IBU - 27

5kg Ale malt
300g Biscuit
300g Dark crystal
300g Oats (toasted)
300g Golden syrup (added during fermentation)
100g Coconut (desiccated)

10g Topaz @ 60
90g Wai-iti @ Cube

1272 @ 18*c

Tasting notes in 1 month !

Good to hear mate, look forward to hear how she goes. Don't know if I'll be posting that night though, although will have to behave.

Put mine down today, will be a bit shorter on the ferment and condition time than ideal, but it shoudl be ok. Pretty much the same recipe as the previous page, but with Moteuka rather than Fuggles.

11116681_810680729020817_712210481_n.jpg

10570130_926641204042148_537521606_n.jpg

Yeah, am in a bit of a quandary with mine. Put down early in week, initially had some light bubbling then stopped dead so aerated it with no luck. Added another batch of yeast two days later, same again with small amount of bubbling then nothing again. Just got a sample this morning to do a reading, waiting for all the floaties to settle to take it..

UPDATE: Damn, that is crazy Reading is at 1.012, it must hve fermented out super quick, no krausen to speak of, no gas 'bubble' with the plastic wrap.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: Westgate ANZAC final

Brewer:

Asst Brewer:

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 67.41 l

Post Boil Volume: 65.52 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 60.00 l

Bottling Volume: 60.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.053 SG

Estimated Color: 17.7 EBC

Estimated IBU:

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 1 51.5 %

1.50 kg Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (54.0 EBC) Grain 2 11.0 %

1.50 kg Gladfield Wheat Malt (4.2 EBC) Grain 3 11.0 %

1.00 kg Gladfield Biscuit Crystal Malt (62.0 EBC Grain 4 7.4 %

0.75 kg Gladfield shephards delighjt(5.9 EBC) Grain 5 5.5 %

0.50 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (11.0 EBC) Grain 6 3.7 %

0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 7 3.7 %

0.85 kg Corn Syrup (2.0 EBC) Sugar 8 6.3 %

100.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 9

10.00 g bsaaz - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10

20.00 g bsaaz - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11

10.00 g bsaaz[15.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12

150.00 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

2.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out

Total Grain Weight: 13.59 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 34.23 l of water at 71.7 C 65.6 C 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 46.94 l water at 75.6 C

Notes:

------

This beer started at 1.058 and finished at 1.012
I also added a packet of ANZAC biscuits for shits and giggles....
I also orig planned on using Vic secret but I decided to use some bsaaz I had instead

20h in the MJ British Ale yeast is going great guns, will see what happens soon. No huge krausen though, but i suspect the oil from the Coconut might have something to do with that.

Second day reading still sitting on 1.012, still trying to get my head around how quick it must have fermented out. Tastes reasonable, I don't have much of a palate to speak of but there seems to be some syrupy oat'ie taste there. Looking forward to getting tyhis up and running, would ordinarily let it sit on the cake for a few days but in this case want to get it bottled and carbed up in time to have it mature in time for the 25th.

Well <72hrs later mine is down at 1.012/1.011 depending on the line on the refractometer. :eek: the MJ yeast works quickly.

Mine tastes quite nice, oaty and syrupy taste.

Debating at the moment whether i want to secondary on coconut and cinnamon. Will have until tomorrow evening to decide... Help me AHBers!

takai said:
Well <72hrs later mine is down at 1.012/1.011 depending on the line on the refractometer. :eek: the MJ yeast works quickly.

Mine tastes quite nice, oaty and syrupy taste.

Debating at the moment whether i want to secondary on coconut and cinnamon. Will have until tomorrow evening to decide... Help me AHBers!
I added about 100g of descicated coconut to mine and it added a nice touch. Was quite prominent at the start but it did mellow out. Also added a quill of cinnamon but I found that it didn't add much.

Mine is in the keg now, and while it is cold conditioning and carbing up i poured myself a pint. My palette is still getting over a cold, but it has a rich mouth feel, and a coconut hit at first. Certainly a nice amber, but i think the coconut inhibits it a bit, and almost gives it a diacetyl type taste (its not, but close)

Latest posts

Back