Amarillo - new season coming.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Word is that its Cascade that has been heavily purchased,

Centennial and Amarillo will also be.... tight..

Not too fussed on the Amarillo, if it's true about Cascade and Centennial though, how the hell do you replace those 2.

I find it interesting that not a great deal of emphasis is put on "vintage".
With the wild variations in AA% (in general - compare Cascade a few years back to now), weather and availability - surely this plays a part?

2011 Amarillo that I purchased was ******* WOW.
2012 Amarillo that I purchased, was remarkably different. Still good, but a shadow of the 2011 stuff I got.

But who knows - maybe something happened to my stock in transit?

2011: acquired from BeerBelly.
2012: acquired from Niko Brew (USA).

When can we expect to see the new season USA hops reaching Aus?

it did already.. rare as rocking horse shit this season..

There will be more coming in, just not a lot of it.. I've not looked at the site sponsors stocks, perhaps have a look there. Im sure Martin would part with some ;)

Hmmm and here I was thinking I should go a lil nuts with the good half kilo I got stashed. I may just have to be a little sparing. Though I'm sure there are plenty of good hops to throw at an APA/IPA. I'll have to increase the inventory soon either way.

Thanks guys. What was the verdict on this years Amarillo, was it very similar to last years crop?

Verdict is it is bloody difficult to get your hands on, and will only become increasingly more so. Hopefully the situation improves next year.

I haven't used any from this year, to be honest.

Aromatics seem on the money, not used this crop year to date, been into the new players on the scene.

Next year should see the shortages end (for HDA anyway)

One of the big concerns isn't the availability of some of these Hops, some of the more popular ones are now wholesale priced at what was a retail price not long ago, combined with the *finger bang* in the exchange rate currently... Well, I guess you can see the issue

*ed*

Or just try new ones. Azacca for example :beerbang:

HalfWit said:
When can we expect to see the new season USA hops reaching Aus?
The new season hops are available, Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Columbus, Cascade, Chinook Simcoe, Crystal, Cluster, Magnum and more.

New Zealand, Nelson Sauvin, Super Alpha, Motueka, Rakau, Pacifica.

Availability on some have been very tight. They have been tight for home brewers and craft breweries.

I got many air freighted and they are as fresh as a daisy. Not saying I am the only one, just saying. But the point is I have em if you want em.

Cheers Steve

Ahtanum is also touted as an Amarillo sub.

I have used it last year and while it does a good job in it's own right, (I enjoyed two batches of it toward the end of last year) I'm afraid it'll never be Amarillo, certainly a good one to play around with though.

Yob said:
Or Equinox ;)
I have already got some, thanks very much. Amarillo on the way. Now just waiting for NZ Cascade. Any ETA Yob on that?

My dude who sources that for me is back from os early next week, I'm desperate for some myself, down to my last few hundred g's

Should have a date by mid week

Yob said:
Ahtanum is also touted as an Amarillo sub.

I have used it last year and while it does a good job in it's own right, (I enjoyed two batches of it toward the end of last year) I'm afraid it'll never be Amarillo, certainly a good one to play around with though.
Ahtanum also seems to be harder to find here, several recipes i have wanted to do call for it but no-one seems to stock it.

Back