Amarillo Apa Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it's all about the beer! If you want to make an APA, then citrusy hops need to dominate, and the yeast should accentuate that, not the malt. If you want to make a beer that is less hoppy and more malty, then it's not neccessarily an APA, just a beer that you like, which is fine as well.
Perhaps you should consider a California Common?
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category7.html

I suppose it's all about the beer! If you want to make an APA, then citrusy hops need to dominate, and the yeast should accentuate that, not the malt.

APAs dont necessarily need to have citrus characteristics, its just common that they do. But some judges also seem to look for it in the style as I recently found out from some feed back... and for some reason that really bugs me <_<

APAs dont necessarily need to have citrus characteristics, its just common that they do. But some judges also seem to look for it in the style as I recently found out from some feed back... and for some reason that really bugs me <_<

Very true, though for some reason I've never had trouble with that on my APAs in comps. ;) Snippets from the BJCP description of APAs.

Aroma: A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required.

Flavour: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used).

So which hops did you use, Jye?

Amarillo, Simcoe and a bit of centennial, I think the problem was that it didn't reek of C hops.

That sounds like a great mix. Judges. Pah. What would they know? :lol:

Actually, I was judging the pale ale section of the NSW comp (all hate mail this way I guess :rolleyes: ) and it was a big flight (21 beers), including some English and American IPAs (and one doppelbock :p ) so if those later beers didn't have some serious hopping, they were probably doomed.

You're right Jye, should read the style guidelines more carefully!

Would love to see the stats on which beers medal in pale ale catagories, and where they were in the flight.
After the 20th super amarillo/cascade hopped beer, exactly how well are you tasting?

30L

1.5 kg Morgans' unhopped pale LME
1.5 kgs Blackrocks' Blond LME
2 kgs JWM ale malt
150g Dark brown sugar
200g JWM Crystal (140)
25g Dark Chocolate malt.

75 min boil

20g cascade 3%AA 60 min
20g Amarillo 9.5% AA 60 min
15g cascade 3%AA 20 min
15g Amarillo 9.5% AA 20 min
15g cascade 3%AA flame out
15g Amarillo 9.5% AA flame out

Mash the grain @ 65
boiled LME last 5 min

I put into Promash and came out around 1.047 and 34 Ibu

I racked this to secondary today and not your typical APA. Very Amarilloish drop.
matti

I am going to bottle my Amarillo/ (where is the) Cascade flavored beer on Monday.

The Amarillo bittering in my recipe above is a bit too much in my opinion.

Will this subside with age and get better with carbonation?

I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale recently, and I'm now drinking them.
I'll probably sound like a Philistine, but have come to the conclusion I do not like Amarillo as a hop and won't use it again. I just don't like what, to me, is a fruit salad like aroma and flavour, and much prefer the citrus character of Cascade.
There, I've said it, and I'm now ducking for cover. ^_^ :eek: ;) :p
However, taste is an individual thing. If I'm spending 4 to 5 hours to put a brew together, I like to at least enjoy the result.

:lol: I tend to agree Warra48. ITs better with some conditioning in the keg to mellow it but is better mixed with other hops.

I have not been scared to say over the years that "I dont like Cascade" I dont hate it but i would rather use other hops. I get some weird looks when i say that around other brewers but as you said..... taste is an individual thing.

I just made a golden ale with amarillo but mixed it with hersbucker and some D-SAAZ.

Smells bloody antastic irmenting.

cheers

i find a mix of centennial, amarillo and chinook work a treat together a produce a cracker APA or american IPA

* Puts warra on the ignore list. * :angry:

Not really. I love an all Amarillo ale, but there's no reason why you should. It's one of the beauties of brewing that you can make the beer that exactly suits you. :D

And if you can't think of anything to do with all that beer, I'll be happy to dispose of it for you. :lol:

I have to agree with Warra48 here, I brewed an all amerillo APA once and it had a yuck factor that I've not experienced with other US hops, can't put my finger on it now, but just remember feeling dissapointed and vowing never to try it again. Currently drinking a Simcoe/Amerillo APA, that is very tasty.

cheers

Browndog

I brewed an Amarillo Pale Ale recently, and I'm now drinking them.
I'll probably sound like a Philistine, but have come to the conclusion I do not like Amarillo as a hop and won't use it again. I just don't like what, to me, is a fruit salad like aroma and flavour, and much prefer the citrus character of Cascade.
There, I've said it, and I'm now ducking for cover. ^_^ :eek: ;) :p
However, taste is an individual thing. If I'm spending 4 to 5 hours to put a brew together, I like to at least enjoy the result.

I think mixed with other hops as I use or as handled by JS is great. Sadly beers like Knapstein taste like petrol/kerosene from the hop and are fairly undrinkable.

Usually i find if you point out the petrol/kerosene profile out to folks and they instantly turn against it...

so i am with you mate...

Scotty

Sadly beers like Knapstein taste like petrol/kerosene from the hop and are fairly undrinkable.

Right. But Knappstein uses Nelson Sauvin rather than Amarillo. :lol:

I done associate that beer or that hop with petrol. :huh:

Right. But Knappstein uses Nelson Sauvin rather than Amarillo. :lol:

I done associate that beer or that hop with petrol. :huh:

Have to agree, how on earth do you get petrol/kerosene out of NS scotty?? :unsure:
D saaz on the other hand has quite a kero aroma to it, like a Reisling...

Cheers Ross

Have to agree, how on earth do you get petrol/kerosene out of NS scotty?? :unsure:
D saaz on the other hand has quite a kero aroma to it, like a Reisling...

Cheers Ross

Besides beer, I really do love aged Rieslings. Had a gorgeous 12 year old one recently, almost like liquid honey in flavour, but still dry.
Anyway, back to drinking my SNPA clone, beautiful.

My Bad on the Hop conflict, but on both the varieties I get the same profile.

Unless it is JS Golden Ale, I find alot of the newer high alpha/aroma triploid base (not all are triploid) hops when used in larger amounts have the kero/petrol profile or are quite cat-p*ssie.

Anyway, each to thier own...

Scotty

I brewed an APA yesterday with PoR as a bittering addition at 60mins, and 50g of Amarillo through the last 30mins. Will let you know how it turned out!

Cheers - Mike

Back