Am I just being a snob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matplat

Reaction score
So a friend, who is just getting into craft beers, told me they really enjoyed a beer at a local brewpub, which for now will remain nameless.

I looked up said beer and was suprised when it advertised itself as a Double IPA (remember, entry level craft brew drinker), initally I was excited as I haven't ever found one on tap (not that I've looked very hard). The brewery also provides the vital statistics for their beers, so I was dismayed to find that this so called IIPA was only 6.5% abv at 30IBU, to me that's barely IPA territory let alone IIPA.

My friend wasn't fussed by this and said they really enjoyed it, so in essence no harm done. But it bothers me that someone is misrepresenting the style, and somewhat fraudulently misleading the consumer.

Does this bother you?

^^ +1

I've seen something like that before - a "light" IIPA.
So you can look and feel like you're a ballsy beer drinker, without having to face the challenge of drinking (& enjoying!) a ballsy beer.

Not that i'd subscribe to any macho bollocks in being able to drink a IIPA, but this false representation just seems fraudulent and lame.

For some reason, it just makes me think of man-buns. Grrrrr.

It's probably just an extension of the misleading marketing mentioned at length in the "what is craft" thread. This is just the next wave.

Some marketing guru has figured out that the punters are getting a little bit more educated about "craft" beer and that the term craft on its own may not be enough to gain "cred". The next step is to label stuff as being more "hardcore" than it really is to flog product.

The term "DOUBLE" will be a play on words of the name of the beer, rather than the style.

"Am I just being a snob" - probably, but not necessarily anything wrong with that either. Maybe look upon your friend and say that is great mate, have another and may be help him learn more, get the sucker brewing!

I've contacted the brewery informing them of my displeasure at their inappropriately liberal use of the term.... I don't expect a response.

What's even dumber is that they have a beer in their menu labelled as a straight pale ale at 37IBU???

They possibly just liked the alliteration of the name they came up with 'devils daughter double IPA'.

Write to your local mp or contact the office of fair trading to get them charged with false advertising. Or go down to the offending brewery and make a citizens arrest.

Black Devil Dog said:
I once got served a Kolsch that wasn't brewed in Cologne, **** I felt violated........
I brew a pretty good Kölsch that isn't a Kölsch, which is brewed in Perth. It tastes like a Kölsch though.

It doesn't so much bother me as I haven't had 1 but I'd be a bit annoyed if I was expecting a Iipa and got a 30 ibu pale ale.

Anyway, I have been past this establishment, and really want to have a drink there but I'd be going there for the traditional German beers, not the house brewed stuff. I noticed a few of their beer descriptions didn't really match their styles nor German theme. Seemed a bit odd. They may well be excellent tasting beers though.

It's bothers the FUK out of me.

Thunder road IPA is fkn < 5% and 30 something Ibu

Yenda IPA is fkn < 5% and 30 something Ibu

Sail and anchor, aahhhh the list goes on and on.

Do your mate a favour. Honestly. Buy him a proper IPA, something 7% and from the USA ( not torpedo ) and show him the way.

You are NOT a SNOB.

You're willing to try a beer with a funny name that is somewhat different to what you expected but will still give it a go anyway. If you only drank the one style and turned your nose up at anything different, then you would be a snob.

As for marketing ploys mislabeling styles, I don't let it get to me. The more this craft beer thing takes off, the more beer and variety we'll get. Times change, names change, styles change. If everyone was a purist we'd still be living in caves. Doesn't mean you can't hate this guy though:

Hipster-Beer.jpg

My local had pirate life iipa on tap for $11 a schooner. (Worth every cent. Think it was 9%.
Brought 2stubbies of tower 10ipa (7%) for around $6each from uncle dans. What a great beer. (My new favorite now actually.). Yea I've been bitten by all the beers above that are falsely advertised but you learn quickly. Lol. Carnts I reckon!

Latest posts

Back