Am I just being a snob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Session IPA" - not possible is it? More likely a pale ale at the low end of ABV and high end of IBU. not even close to IPA range

Firstly, could I suggest you are asking a question as if the topic of the question is wrong. Am I just being a snob? Knock yourself out, being a snob should be encouraged. In these PC days it will disappear of we do not have an uprising of snobbery occasionally.

Beyong my mini rant, I think you might be at the heart of the "craft beer" revolution, and my concern about many craft beers. From my view, it is very difficult for many of the craft brewers to get beers that fit IPA guidelines of >40 IBU because they insist in putting most of their hops in at the end of the boil, or dry hopped, rather than at zero minutes to get the appropriate level of bitterness. This seems to be the method in many of their beers, not just the IPA.

I know I am from another generation, but I want some of my hops early in the boil. Give me some old fashioned bitterness. Right now.

See you, Anthony

well its not like companies need to follow BJCP style guidelines, but there is overlap between each category (but 30IBU does not an IPA make)

American Pale Ale 30–50 IBU, 4.5–6.2% ABV
American IPA 40–70 IBU, 5.5–7.5% ABV
Double IPA 60–120 IBU, 7.5–10.0% ABV

i wouldn't let it bother you. at the end of the day, your mate is drinking better beer (albeit marketed poorly on all fronts). it only gets better from there.

Kingy said:
That was at The Firestation hotel. I've had it twice there now. Great beer.
thanks. i assumed it was them but I didnt see it on their 'now tapped' list

Back to the top
Double IPA is a sort of made name anyway...so it's an IPA with double somethin?
BJCP guidelines are only guidelines after all, guidelines for judges in generally homebrew competions...a fantastic resource for homebrewers but not perhaps what the marketing person reads (or importantly understands).
In this situation the BJCP guidelines are not at all relevant

K

danestead said:
It doesn't so much bother me as I haven't had 1 but I'd be a bit annoyed if I was expecting a Iipa and got a 30 ibu pale ale.

Anyway, I have been past this establishment, and really want to have a drink there but I'd be going there for the traditional German beers, not the house brewed stuff. I noticed a few of their beer descriptions didn't really match their styles nor German theme. Seemed a bit odd. They may well be excellent tasting beers though.
If you are talking about who I think you are, is this a
Surprise??

Back