Am I Infected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
Hows it goin guys, I am a newbie just on to my sixth brew in 4 weeks(2 fermenters).4 days ago I bottled a castlemaine lager kit with 500g be2 and finsished with cluster hops to mimick a xxxx gold. Today i pick up a bottle and find there is a thin milky ring on top of the beer in the bottle, most bottles of this brew have this.My question is this just secondary fermentation or have i got problems? While I'me asking questions does anyone have a simple k&k recipe for a kilkenny clone (am thinking Morgans royal oak amber ale,1 kg caramalt and 500g ldme and fuggles hops)any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance. Cheers KINGO.

Hows it goin guys, I am a newbie just on to my sixth brew in 4 weeks(2 fermenters).4 days ago I bottled a castlemaine lager kit with 500g be2 and finsished with cluster hops to mimick a xxxx gold. Today i pick up a bottle and find there is a thin milky ring on top of the beer in the bottle, most bottles of this brew have this.My question is this just secondary fermentation or have i got problems? While I'me asking questions does anyone have a simple k&k recipe for a kilkenny clone (am thinking Morgans royal oak amber ale,1 kg caramalt and 500g ldme and fuggles hops)any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance. Cheers KINGO.

Gday mate, welcome to the forum.

I don't think it's infected - I hada ginger beer (coopers) which I made non0alcoholic, and it has the ring around the top. I am not sure what it is but I reckon it's yeast. It sure tastes fine. How does your brew taste? Probably to young to taste at this stage, but the best way to find out is smelling and tasting.

I know everyone makes out that you have to be ultra clean etc... but I think that you'd really have to have things go wrong for you to get infections and if you did get one you'd know what it was eg: Oh that must've been when I dropped the tea towel in the fermentor which I'd just wiped the puddles off the floor with.

If you do your best to keep hygene up to a certain standard you'll never have a problem. As for the ring?? Maybe one of the more experienced guys know how to get rid if it.... Guys?????? B)

That thin ring can be the sign of an infection, though it's not a guarantee. And even if there is an infection, it might not present itself in the flavour until after you've finished the batch, if you're lucky. No need to start worrying unless the beer tastes lousy too.

That thin ring can be the sign of an infection, though it's not a guarantee. And even if there is an infection, it might not present itself in the flavour until after you've finished the batch, if you're lucky. No need to start worrying unless the beer tastes lousy too.

Hi kingo and welcome, I'm with Kai (above) on this. This type of infection can occur in the fermenter as well as in the bottle, generally from oxidation. Have had it occur when air has been allowed in when a brew has fermented out and is not producing a protective layer of Co2. The thin ring (mentioned by Kai) can be seen on top of the beer in the fermenter, usually whiteish and different to yeast it will have a sort of stirated appearance, and sometimes will produce airlock activity and a fruity odour. The beer generally has a slightly acidic taste which is just detectable in a young beer but seems to increase with time.

Kingo,

as Screwtop says, it may be an infection, but to be honest, it just sounds like a protein ring to me. Sometimes, depending on the ingredients you use, you can get protein precipitate out of the beer and stick to the side of the glass. I used to get this every now and then when I was bottling, until I started using Irish Moss in the boil.

Cheers - Snow

Hey Kingo,

Books I've read suggest that the white ring is indeed an infection. But as Kai says, this infection doesn't always present itself in flavour, and the beer can be quite drinkable. My understanding is that nothing that can kill you (i.e. botulism) will be able to live in beer due to the acidity? Maybe someone else can confirm this? So your best bet would be to drink it when it's ready, determine whether you can discern any off flavours, and learn from the experience...

how long has it been in the bottle for? it could just be a bit of residual 'foam' from when you bottled if it was very recent.

Im with snow. I've have them a few times...asked the same question, answer given was more than likely protein. None of them have been infected.
Cheers
Steve

how long has it been in the bottle for? it could just be a bit of residual 'foam' from when you bottled if it was very recent.
They've been in the bottle for five days, might leave a few more days then crack one and have a sniff and a taste.

Taste and smell - if its infected you'll know soon enough.

Had to tip one of my more experimental brews out the other week due to infection. It was a sad moment, turning the tap on the fermenter and watching it drain into the bathtub and down the drain.

Look on the bright side - if you do have to throw it out then you have an excuse to brew more and sooner

Hey Kingo,

Books I've read suggest that the white ring is indeed an infection. But as Kai says, this infection doesn't always present itself in flavour, and the beer can be quite drinkable. My understanding is that nothing that can kill you (i.e. botulism) will be able to live in beer due to the acidity? Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Acidity, alcohol and hops.

This echoes my experience.
I've seen the tell tale bottle ring on a couple of batches - granted, after they'd been in the bottle for several months. They tasted fine. The taste test tends to be a fairly good indication.

Yeah its too early to tell yet.

I quite often find it early and a gentle side to side swirl sees it fall to the bottom.I've always asumed its just a yeast thing from bottle conditioning,and protiens.Bottles that have displayed this are stil drinking perfectly 2 /3 months and beyond.(6 months even)
Acetobacter, which I have fallen victim to (way in the past) was more of a soapy solid scum that formed on top and refused to drop with agitation.
wait at least 2/3 weeks and have a taste b4 you get too stressed!

Gentlemen,

I had one infection that had the hardest of sediment - slight white ring, but the sediment was packed in after only two weeks. It was coopers lager kit (tasted like cider) and has been used in the shed to re-create the winning of any Grand Prix due to the ultra high carbonation. ( what is that brand of champagne called?) :blink:

BTW - only one bad brew out of 15-20 in 3 fermenters without the use of any sterilising agents. The bad one could have been bottled too early as well :lol:

InCider

Gentlemen,

I had one infection that had the hardest of sediment - slight white ring, but the sediment was packed in after only two weeks. It was coopers lager kit (tasted like cider) and has been used in the shed to re-create the winning of any Grand Prix due to the ultra high carbonation. ( what is that brand of champagne called?) :blink:

BTW - only one bad brew out of 15-20 in 3 fermenters without the use of any sterilising agents. The bad one could have been bottled too early as well :lol:

InCider

I'd take note, InCider has the runs on the board when it comes to kit beers!

I know everyone makes out that you have to be ultra clean etc... but I think that you'd really have to have things go wrong for you to get infections and if you did get one you'd know what it was eg: Oh that must've been when I dropped the tea towel in the fermentor which I'd just wiped the puddles off the floor with.

I'm worried about this advice.

Yeah, see my signature...I only "sanitise", don't sterilise...but what do you mean here man...what is "clean"? :ph34r:

PZ.

*spelling edit...probably screwed that up too...hahaha*

Braulover....Acerbacteria....???????
My first attempt at AG..In secondary developed a thick type of foam..or whatever..Never seen this before....
Tipped it ....AAAAArGGGGh...
Is this that acerbateria thingy you said..????????
PJ

Latest posts

Back