Am I Fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Put down my second brew yesterday afternoon, but so far (18 hours overnight) not seeing any action through the airlock. However there is a 'clouding' from the bottom of the fermenter to above the tap, and frothing appears at the top (images attached), so not sure wheather I'm fermenting or not :( .

Thomas Coopers Selection Wheat Can (1.7kg)
1/2 can Coopers Wheat LME (approx 750g)
500g Wheat DME
Peel of 2 oranges and coriander seeds
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit

The oranges were peeled and then steeped with the coriander seeds just below boiling. The yeast looked alright as the pack was smacked (maybe a few times, then shaken) and then blew up. Everything was mixed happily then I pitched the yeast, happy days :D There was then quickly a sediment at the bottom of the fermenter and I though the yeast must have dived to the bottom and knowing this was a true top cropping yeast thought I'd mix it up a bit more <_< .

Any thoughts on whats happening on the inside of my fermenters own little world?

Thanks

Piggy

Fermenter_Top.jpg

Fermenter_Bottom.jpg

Airlock means nothing. Yeast is multiplying and eating sugar - foam at the top and increase in sediment are surefire signs as is gravity dropping.

Relax.

Hi All,
not seeing any action through the airlock.
Any thoughts on whats happening on the inside of my fermenters own little world?

Thanks

Piggy
It's fine bloke...
As Manticle said...the signs are there that fermentation is taking place.
Your question would have to be the one of the most asked questions IMHO.
As someone said .." it's an airlock...not a is my beer fermenting lock "
Some people have dispensed with them and are using gladwrap and the lids rubber "o" ring.....
I will say though..their is something quite theraputic about opening my fermentation fridge and hearing the occasional "blup....blup" !
But if i don't...i don't worry...i know fermentation is taking place because of the foam , the krausen , the yeast cake i can see eveloping...
Cheers
Ferg

Put your ear against the side of the fermenter ... fizssszzzzzzzzzsszzzzzzzzz. Even more fun with a stethoscope.

Thanks all for the positive words. Nick, I did put my ear to the fermenter prior to posting and didn't hear anything which added to my concerns. However I'm pretty sure that something must be happening with the froth developing (although from what I've seen this could also be infection / foreign yeast. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid :unsure: ). I'll take SG tonight and check again in a week to verify anyway.

Thanks again ;) .

Latest posts

Back