Am I Drinking Too Much

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxairtime

Reaction score
Hello fello malt hop and sugar lovers,
my question this evening... is brewing 75litres every 4 weeks, of your favourite brew, and able to age for one month, and not be able to experiment with anything else and keep your regular drinking sock aged for a sufficient time. Do i need to buy another vat? Or slow down my drinking? :chug: thank you for your replies my fello homies :party: c ya nxt time :super:

I think 7 stubbies a day is a LITTLE too much, but you'd best speak to your GP about that :huh:

I'm still not quite sure what your question is, but it doesn't take any more time/risk to experiment provided your sanitation and temperature control techniques are sound.

you are nut mate but have another one. :chug:

Goodbye Liver !

shake hands mxairtime, 75L in 4 weeks is just my shoe size ;)

my Doctor said, I should drink only one bottle of beer a day, so it was a little hard to find suitable bottles, finally I found this one, holds 3Liters:
2778.JPG

B)

this post has been zwickelised by Zwickel :lol:

keep your regular drinking sock aged for a sufficient time.

I realise this is a typo, but what a great one! Is no-one else intrigued by just what a regular drinking sock might be? And why it needs to be aged? Just how long is sufficient time to age a drinking sock?

The mind boggles!

Lambics anyone :p

On topic it sounds a little excessive to me but who knows, your body will tell you soon enough. Does that take into account any additional consumption by friends, relatives and general hangers on?

Just to answer your actual question, HELL YES buy another vat!! :beerbang:

As for the concern regarding you liver, i say thats what its there for, cold filtering! If you dont use it you run the risk of it getting lazy and out of condition.
75 litres a month works out to roughly 3 tallies a day, taking into account visitors, dregs in bottles, possible spillage, the 3 year old son and his 18 month old sisters raids on the glass (WTF) and the good wifes intake I would say that sort of usage was par for the course.

So to answer you critics I say "Harden up Soft Socks" :party:

BREW ON :super:

BTW, Zwickel, where do you get the glass Darwin Stubbies from, Im in for a dozen!

Generally brew 2 vats at a time (40L), and I brew twice a month at the moment. But when summer comes I'll brew almost nothing and just chew into the bottled stocks. At the moment, even with my brother helping me out a keg, 20L, lasts ~2wks. A carton is ~9L, so a carton a week for a month is only 36L. Even in the festive season I wouldn't chew thru 2 cartons a week by myself. Check out the beer consumption thread, I think you're consumption is excessive, but hey......your life.

buy another vat or start brewing through the night! I am struggling to make any stockpiles so I bought myself a nice new 60L fermentor to help out. I also 'reassigned' an old fermentor from a mate who doesnt currently HB (got him to send it to me from interstate). So now I have 3 fermentors going instead of 1. it should help!

SO I guess you can figure out what my suggestion for you is.

I mean no offence, however:

I can't see the sense in asking a bunch of home brewers if you are drinking too much! :D

They will probably tell you if you are drinking too much of *their* beer, but... <_<

I like variety, so I tend to have two or three 20-23 litre batches going at once, and if I can control myself, have three on tap. At the moment, I'm about as flush with beer as I ever get. Only got one in a cube waiting for pitching, so I guess I'd better brew my IBU Iron Brewer beer soon.

btw, moving this to the Pub. Not a Kit and Extract thread.

Hello fello malt hop and sugar lovers,
my question this evening... is brewing 75litres every 4 weeks, of your favourite brew, and able to age for one month, and not be able to experiment with anything else and keep your regular drinking sock aged for a sufficient time. Do i need to buy another vat? Or slow down my drinking? :chug: thank you for your replies my fello homies :party: c ya nxt time :super:

You are clearing THINKING too much. Have a beer and ponder no more.

BTW, Zwickel, where do you get the glass Darwin Stubbies from, Im in for a dozen!

im gonna answer this as Zwickel may not know

you buy the Darwin stubby in Darwin..

but only for the bottle cos the beer is seriously shit...lol

How excessive the drinking is depends on the amount your friends are helping you with. Before kids I used to get through a lot of brew when we had more parties - now not so much.

If your drinking sock is well aged then who knows...

Mxairtime.

Without further clarification, your drinking seems to be well beyond current health guidelines. Current guidelines reccommend a intake of no more than 4 standard drinks per day (assuming you are male), with at least 2 alcohol free days per week, (preferably consecutive).
As to how many standard drinks are in a litre of your brew, you will need to either work it out, or give us input as to the ABV of your vats o brew.
Health concerns caused by excessive alcohol consumption are unforutnaltey slow to show symptoms, and once apparent quite difficult to deal with, so best advise is to not buy another vat, and reduce intake where possible.

Mxairtime.

Without further clarification, your drinking seems to be well beyond current health guidelines. Current guidelines reccommend a intake of no more than 4 standard drinks per day (assuming you are male), with at least 2 alcohol free days per week, (preferably consecutive).
As to how many standard drinks are in a litre of your brew, you will need to either work it out, or give us input as to the ABV of your vats o brew.
Health concerns caused by excessive alcohol consumption are unforutnaltey slow to show symptoms, and once apparent quite difficult to deal with, so best advise is to not buy another vat, and reduce intake where possible.

have to agree here. it's always good to have a bender now and then but i think the important thing is to give your liver and heart a break. go 3+ alcohol free days per week and you should at least keep some of the damage at bay.

for me, not drinking through the week (ie monday - thursday) keeps my stocks up...

Back