Am I being too impatient (thirsty)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Had my latest batch of DSGA carbing in bottled for two weeks now and thought I'd crack a couple open (for the sake of science!). Very happy with the taste and whilst carbonation has occurred - not as much as I'd thought and little (no!) head. Is it just a matter of time or have I made a boo boo along the way? Worth giving the bottles a bit of a shake? Other ideas?

Used online priming calc. They've been in a big tub in my shed. I've only got one temp controlled fridge and that's being used to ferment another brew and cider at the moment. So temp would have been inconsistent.

Patience, when I was bottling they used to stay in the cellar at cool temps, got there in the end.

Few brewers start with much patience but it's a skill that's acquired and comes with time

Yes, too impatient! Haha, if you want to speed up bottle conditioning- let them warm up a little from your cellar temps.

Yob said:
Do not shake..
Not looking to start an argument or anything just want to know they reason behind this. I'm sure I remember carniebrew advising to invert bottles for a day somewhere here...

edit to protect the innocent.

Well I've never gone the shake, just wondering if there is a good reason not to. Curiosity and all. The invert was as a way to get the yeast back in suspension within the bottle I believe. I'll have to try and dig up the link.

If cellaring over winter in bottles, Id occasionally invert to re-suspend, I dont think I really needed to, but I enjoyed doing so, the yeast will chomp away at the sugars, albeit much more slowly at cellar temps even in winter, In my day I had over 300 longnecks and really didnt need to do the whole invert thing as by the time I got to that crate they had always invariably carbed up.

There is a difference between carbing up and conditioning of course and while bottles may indeed be carbed after a few weeks, this in no way means they are conditioned or at their best (or anywhere near it). I would think that (yeast health aside) after 2 weeks most, if not all the priming sugars would have been gobbled, certainly the bulk of them. OP is in Adelaide and its not as though its been bitterly cold there for the last few weeks.

The whole re-suspend your Coopers yeast is just marketing genius (despite the way I feel about Coopers Ive got to give them that)... way to make people think that the last bit of crud in a bottle somehow adds to their 'craft beer experience'

First brews (even up to the first 6 or so) are very hard to let age, I was most certainly guilty of this too, it's not the expectation when you first lay one down, hence I say, Patience is required and a learned skill that comes with time, you start to notice (well I did at least) that the last few bottles of a batch are always the best... which is a ******* of a thing that makes you do it all over again...

sadly, its the bloody same with kegs.. the last few glasses/pints/litre is always the frikkin tastiest...

Latest posts

Back