Aluminium pot for mashing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Mick

Reaction score
I have a 50 litre aluminium pressure cooker. Just wondering whether I could mash brew with an ally pan. I'm not sure whether there would be an adverse reaction. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean I want to pressure cook a mash brew......., just wondering whether the pan would be okay.

In the ol' days people used to think that cooking any sort of food in aluminium pots could lead to dementia (eg. Alzheimers) in later life.

That's long been debunked.

As regards anything specificaly adverse to brewing beer in aluminium pots, there is nothing to worry about. A lot of people use aluminium pots for brewing. Just be careful what cleaners you use. Some are nor recommended for aluminium. And don't try and scrub it shiny clean. That unattractive dull grey oxide coating keeps the pot food safe.

(All that being said, might be a good idea to write your name down on a piece of paper, just in case you can't remember it by the the end of the bew day :) )

Edit: I should have mentioned, don't use an aluminum pot as a fermentation vessel. For mash and boil vessel, OK.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing would make me think it wouldn't be okay Timmi, but after being a long time out of practice, I wouldn't want to risk all that time and expense on a mash brew without first asking a simple question that I wouldn't know the answer to.

Thanks Feldon, you have answered my question.

I now feel confident enough to tackle a mash brew with my ally pan.

Latest posts

Back