Almost Slimy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brotom7

Reaction score
Just bottled a batch of beer and noticed how the bottles filled slower than normal.
When checking the hydrometer sample I noticed how it was almost a little slimy when poring it out, poring it slowly one could see how the drips looked like they had high viscosity.
It tasted very normal without any off-taste and it's not a case of just the tip having some slimy buildup, it really is the beer. Taking some beer between the fingers it doesn't feel slimy at all, it feels pretty clean as one would expect.

I have taste the batch before which was more or less the same receipe and noticed how it gives a very creamy head and gives a creamy mouthfeel when drinking, not at all as clean as a lager should be.
I've only had one bottle of that batch and I do remember it mashed very high 68-69C so I thought it was a result of that but this last mashed at a 64-65ish.

The recipe is:
5kg Pils
250g Munich 2
40g Hallertauer @60min
30g Tettnang @20

Fermented at 13C for two weeks and then 2 weeks in secondary, first batch came out at 1006 and the current was at 1010 when moving from primary to secondary.

Any ideas why it would seem slimy and have a creamy mouthfeel without any off-taste?

Slimy would imply infected. If there's no off flavours then I'm stumped too because it should taste like shit.

pediococcus produces slimy beer. it can eventually clear up though (combined with other bugs in a lambic fermentation), but ends up very very sour... if you've already bottled it i would be wary of some volcanic eruptions of slime further down the track

Googled pediococcus and sounds very much like that's what I might have.
Bottled in Coopers PET so I should get some warning before they burst if that's the case.
I will drink them as long as they taste alright which they pretty much do except for the strange mouth feel and they are still quite green.

Not all bad it appears...

from http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/brew_re...resentation.ppt

Pediococcus produces a slimy elastic thread like consistency if the conditions are just right. Belgian brewers call this being sick, the technical term is ropy.
This slimy substance is harmless. It is composed of carbohydrates, acids, and proteins, and plays an important role in Lambic and Russian River funkified beers.
A beer will become well after 3 or 4 months.
A beer that has been sick exhibits a deeper acidity and mouthfeel.
A Beer can be sick twice.

didnt i just say that?

Not all bad it appears...

from http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/brew_re...resentation.ppt

Pediococcus produces a slimy elastic thread like consistency if the conditions are just right. Belgian brewers call this being sick, the technical term is ropy.
This slimy substance is harmless. It is composed of carbohydrates, acids, and proteins, and plays an important role in Lambic and Russian River funkified beers.
A beer will become well after 3 or 4 months.
A beer that has been sick exhibits a deeper acidity and mouthfeel.
A Beer can be sick twice.

Back