Almost A Js Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron86

Reaction score
Hi guys. Bought a coopers brew kit back in late October and have just started my second brew. First brew was a Coopers Lager (very average, which turned out quite acidic/cidery to begin with, but matured to be better, being quite bitter but less acidic).

As I love JS Golden Ale & Wheat Beer with a passion, I decided to knock a kit up.

Materials: Coopers Wheat Extract (1.7kg), Coopers Liquid wheat malt (1.5kg), S-04 Fermentis, 20g Fuggles & 50g Amarillo.

Started by simmering the malt for around 20 minutes adding that to the wheat extract in the fermenter. Seperately boiled 20g Fuggles in 2L of water for around 20 mins, strained that off into the mix.

Moved onto the Amarillo, boiling 25g on medium for around 15 minutes and the other 25g of Amarillo on high for 5 minutes (adding that one first).

Added the yeast and BAM. 4 hours later I start to see some action. I initially thought I may have ruined everything because when I added the yeast the thermo was telling me the temp was around 34-36 deg.

I am still fairly new to brewing and I am learning every day. Hopefully this brew turns out quite well (Im confident it will) and I can soon move onto the grain.

I will post some results shortly for those who care :)

Welcome to the forums!

Keep us posted how this partial of yours go. At this rate you shall be into AG by brew #3... :D

I think you should add Malt to hops while boiling....
Not just water and hops...
Anyone.....?
PJ

I think you should add Malt to hops while boiling....
Not just water and hops...
Anyone.....?
PJ

I have a feeling that you are right...but then again, I have made hop teas and have boiled hops without the malt...

From my limited understanding, I think that the more malt you add, the less impact the the bittering can do, in other words, the hop utilization decreases as the malt (aka gravity) increases. So with that in mind, you would get more utilization...

:huh:

Should be ok and good onya for giving it a run with the hops etc. Read more here, get the gear, and get AG'in

I wish I had earlier
:beer:

Latest posts

Back