All Out Of Us05, Could I Use Coopers Recultered Yeast And Ferment @ 16

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just realised im out of US05 and was going to brew another one of the Red Dog Pale Ale's...
I do have some recultured coopers yeast and was thinking of using this and keeping fermentation down to 16c to get a clean finish??

Would this be OK?

Sounds OK to me, another way of ensuring a clean Finish is to have heaps of yeast, you certainly don't want to under-pitch if you are aiming for clean. I'd build a good 2L starter.

I haven't used re-cultured Coopers yeast or the Coopers home-brew yeast. I have read that the homebrew yeast is happy fermenting at warmer temperatures, so perhaps do some research on the temp range and sit at the bottom of that range? Or just give it a go and see if there is fermentation activity within a reasonable time from pitching. :)

You'll almost certainly get some pear esters but why not - why indeed not B) - also if you can get some Coopers kit yeast it's not as bad as often feared, I actually got some good points in comps using it for Aussie Style Old Ales etc - ferment below 18 and I reckon <sticks neck out> it's every bit as good as S-04. Whatever the kit twang comes from I wouldn't blame the yeast if fermented properly and pitched adequately.

However US-05 can't be beat for clean ales, americans and fake lagers. :)

whats the recipe? I use coopers yeast alot, it still imparts flavour at 16 and lower. I've used coopers in a amarillo golden ale and it wasn't that great, wasn't bad, just would've been better with US05. After 2 months it turned out alright though (was in a bottle).

Fermenting ale-yeasts at lower temps does not always result in a cleaner finish, sometimes you actually stress the yeast more and cause them to produce more, but different, flavour compounds and esters. I usually use Coopers yeast for Australian Ales, and find about 18C is a good temp where the yeast character is well balanced by the POR hops.

Hmmmm, bugger it, might just recultured sOme us05 from one of my other Longnecks and use that.... It's a apa recipe:
4.7kg pale
300 crystal
270 cara pils

Cascade at 45, 15
Chinook at 1
Bittered to 40ibu

Would give exact recipe but using iPhone at work so I'm just going off memory.

Hmmmm, bugger it, might just recultured sOme us05 from one of my other Longnecks and use that.... It's a apa recipe:
4.7kg pale
300 crystal
270 cara pils

Cascade at 45, 15
Chinook at 1
Bittered to 40ibu

Would give exact recipe but using iPhone at work so I'm just going off memory.

If you've got a clean bottle of US05 beer at home, I'd do that. The Coopers yeast won't give you what you're aiming for.

Save the Coopers for your 90% pale malt, 5% crystal, 5% sugar Aussie Ale.

I actually make a Aussie ale using (not sure off hand percentages) but for 23lt
3.75kg pale
300g wheat
30g dark crystal
300g sugar

This is what Ive always used but open to any improvements :)

Latest posts

Back