All Grain Bop... In Japan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Brown

Reaction score
Was researching some beer destinations for a trip I'm planning next year and came across this.

Seems its a Sake/Shochu brewery/distillery with a craft brewery attached, that also does BOP...

Pity they only deliver in Japan :p

[post="0"]Bairds Brewery[/post]

Awesome beers, friendly hosts. One of the highlights of the trip. The brewery is in Numuzu (1hr bullet-train from tokyo) but there a 3 pubs around Japan with 12+ beers on tap.

Although the beers are American styles i.e. big hops, high gravities; still some of the tastest beers ever. Talk to the bar manages and try to hook up a brewery tour with Brad (owner) or Chris (head brewer).

Side note: they supply in 15 and 20L kegs. We need this size for smaller Oz craftbreweries to improve freshness.

Just did a search, nice one dude, its in Shizuoka which is where my brother lives!
I'll be sure to add that one to my list B)

Just slightly OT here i will be in japan in 4 weeks time, just wondering if anyone knows of any brew pubs/bars in tokyo worth a visot as we will be in Tokyo for 5 days then off to Kyoto for anther 5 days to visit my Japanese uncle.

I was in Japan last September, and visited Bairds. Chris, the brewer, is a top bloke and Numazu, while being off the tourist trail a little bit, is an awesome spot for a swim in the ocean and a peek at Fujiama.
I met up with a bunch of american expat home brewers living in Japan and had a great time.

As for Tokyo.. it is full, yes FULL, of exceptional places for a beer, but the trouble is navigating around Tokyo and not being completely overwhelmed by everything.

Instantly coming to mind, was Fullers on cask at BEERASAURUS, and a tiny little cafe that had over 150 beers in bottles from mainly Belgium, Canadia and The Former Empire of the United States.

Dont shy away from Ashai and Kirin on tap, neither. In Japan it is a very different beer.

cool thanks will have to check some of those places out, i think i will have to convince SWMBO that hoping on the bullet train will be a must do experience, and what better place to catch it too, and i will be definitely be trying the Asahi as it is one of my favorite beers, great with thai curries.

If you don't go here and I ever meet you, I will have to punch you in the face...

Man, I just went to the site and checked the beer list for today: Rogue Barleywine, Imperial Stout, Brutal IPA and Shakespeare, Great Divide Herc IPA and Green Flash IPA, all on tap. Then there is the Japanese stuff...

And as a warning (not necessarily about this bar though) it is pretty common to have a beer served with what we would consider a massive head. It is normal. You sorta get used to it.

Catching a shinkanzen (bullet train) is heaps easier than you think, and it is such a great travel experience.
Very similar to the quality we used to enjoy in domestic business class on aeroplanes.
They come about every 20 minutes for local destinations, ie under 600km, and every hour for long distance destinations.
Remember, they hit their straps at around 250km/h (or more for the new ones), so nowhere is too far to go by rail.

I reckon with waiting times the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto would be faster than the plane :ph34r: .

OffT
the fact that for the cost of a suburbian house in melbournbe you can BUY a propoer PENTHOUSE appartment in the middle of Tokyo, its bloody temping to move there (forget the needing a job aspect).

mind you, you can also buy an appartment in NY also.

back OT. great info on here. dying to go to Japan

the fact that for the cost of a suburbian house in melbournbe you can BUY a propoer PENTHOUSE appartment in the middle of Tokyo, its bloody temping to move there (forget the needing a job aspect).
Or Eight 2br Chalet's 25km from Antwerp or Brussels on a train line.

Current interest rate in Japan - 0.1%. My sister pays less on her mortgage than she did on her rent there. The house, on a 64 square m block was just over $100 K. It's insane.

Edit: There is also the JR Pass for the train, which seems expensive, but works out pretty good when you divide the cost across the days. You can ride the all-stops shinkansen, but not the express ones. They take a bit longer, but it doesn't matter. I got from Tokyo to Nagasaki and back to Nagoya on a 7 day pass, with stops at Hiroshima, Nagoya, Himeji, Kobe, Matsumoto , Fukuoka and Kyoto. Himeji is worth it and doable in a day from Kyoto. Stop on the way back and go to Kobe Chinatown for dinner. You'll not regret it...

open a brewery in Japan anyone? alhough there is a bit more competition over there

Great thread! Im going in the first week of August so the list so far

Popeye-Ryogoku tokyo
Baird's-Numazu
Beerasaurs-anyone know the location couldnt find anything on google?

anywhere else

Back