All grain beer kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrathabrewer

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has given these a bash and if so what was the finished beer like? Iv seen a few home brew stores selling them and thought I'd give em a go..

All my past brews have been what iv found off of the net and thought looked good and they have all turned out well.

Do you mean fresh wort kits, or preassembled kits with grain, hops etc that you mash/brew yourself?

Na I mean the kits with the yeast
and grain that you mash yourself just like a standard all grain recipe but it's all put together for you to make a specific type of beer, I was looking at a few the other day and it got me intrested and thought I'd give the Irish red a go but don't want to waste my coin if they got bad reviews

yes it's probably a good way to use a recipe that is known to be generally good. But for me half the fun of brewing is doing the research, designing the recipe and seeing how it turns out. Everything else is just cleaning :)

yes it's probably a good way to use a recipe that is known to be generally good. But for me half the fun of brewing is doing the research, designing the recipe and seeing how it turns out. Everything else is just cleaning :)
I'd love that option mate but I live 1400ks from my nearest city so I don't have get to browse the grains and have s good look my only option is to take a punt and order a brew or 2 worth of grain and hope for the best lol but so far my beers have turned out pretty bloody good!

They will be good mate don't worry :) If you're concerned, you can post the recipe in the "What Are you brewing 2018" thread and ask for opinions. But i'd have faith in a HB shop selling stuff that tastes good..

How much is postage for you to get a kit? I've got a mate just starting brewing but he lives in the middle of Qld and isn't sure how to get grains without it costing an arm and a leg...

I'd love that option mate but I live 1400ks from my nearest city so I don't have get to browse the grains and have s good look my only option is to take a punt and order a brew or 2 worth of grain and hope for the best lol but so far my beers have turned out pretty bloody good!

not trying to tell you what to do but I have been brewing for many years and it was a long time before I ever laid eyes on an un-cracked grain. I and probably the majority of brewers here would just research a recipe, build it in software (you definitely need software to design beers; beersmith is cheap and very good), seek feedback here and then order a neatly packaged bag of cracked grain delivered direct to the door with yeast and hops and anything we need included. Online brew shops have been making this possible for a long time. Any of the site sponsors will enable you to do this.

Nothing wrong with this approach at all. If you're interested in learning a bit more about the recipe, ask the shop to provide the ingredients list. It'd be a pretty rubbish LHBS that wouldn't put one together for you. Most shops I've dealt with are falling over themselves to provide advice and guidance on recipes, and they're usually pretty decent brewers. Not sure if the brew shops here are following the US example of making the recipe secret and just giving it all to you without any explanation.

Back