All Cluster Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about doing an all cluster hop. Does anyone feel the need to stop/warn me before I proceed?

Thanks,

Haven't use Cluster for years, and not in an extract brew, only kit as far as I remember. But looking at the specs I'd prolly avoid it as a bittering addition of 60 mins with the cohumulone tipping 40%, may come across a bit harsh. Like I said, I've not used it as a bittering addition myself so this is just the way I'd approach it for a start, it may well be fine

I bought some cluster flowers cheep a while back.
Made 3 batches x 23ltr of cluster ipa and they were all good.
So my 2c says give it a go.
Cheers.

Cluster does indeed have quite a harsh bitterness.
I would definitely avoid the 60 minute.

I did an all cluster late hopped ipa... Dumped it immediately on tasting during filtration. Laughably close to cat piss.

Cluster is nice in my opinion, but only in small amounts. ED: by this I mean it doesn't go like other US hops like Centennial, where you can just chuck more in for more flavour.

Hmm. I just did a larger with a little bit of Cluster (45min). Hope it's not too harsh.

I did an all cluster late hopped ipa... Dumped it immediately on tasting during filtration. Laughably close to cat piss.

Cluster is nice in my opinion, but only in small amounts. ED: by this I mean it doesn't go like other US hops like Centennial, where you can just chuck more in for more flavour.

Noted and scratched.

Noted and scratched.

I use it in bittering for most of my AIPAs and it's fine. Either that or my palate is buggered from too many AIPAs? I once met a bloke who had to eat chilli's with his cereal in order to taste it.....

Hi all,

Thinking about doing an all cluster hop. Does anyone feel the need to stop/warn me before I proceed?

Thanks,

I bought some accidentally (in a moment of retardation getting my hop names mixed up) and used it in an Leftovers IPA recipe.

I only used 20g at 60 plus some leftover Northern Brewer and a little Amarillo. Then used cluster and a few other hops for flavour and aroma additions. It's turned out bloody GREAT. I've read plenty of opinions that it tastes like cat piss, but for a total of 60g of cluster in the recipe and maybe 40g of other hops the taste and moderate bitterness is brilliant.

Just keep in mind that it's the base for XXXX.. so think of the smell and taste of those and think if you want you whole beer to have nothing but that. I definitely think the Amarillo and other couple of hops in the recipe saved me.. so think about adding something different for better depth of flavour.

I used Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade hops in the IPA I have conditioning in bottles now. I used 1.5oz (42.525g) each in the boil starting @ 25 minutes. I then used .5oz (14.175g) each in the dry hop for one week. It was bottled on 7/27,had a bottle on 8/12 to see how it was doing. It's got a light toasty malt with lemon,grapefruit,& bitter orange flavors from the hops. But little in the way of actual bittering.
Hops have to be boiled more than 30 minutes to get the bittering out of them. I used the hops as flavor/aroma additions. The malt was a combination of a cooper's OS draught can with 3lbs (1.362kg) of Munton's plain light DME brewed to 23L. It's looking to be quite good when it's conditioned fully. Just my experienced 2c.

Latest posts

Back