All Cascade Ipa Tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
planning next weeks brew and have decided on a American IPA. My insperation is the Brew Dogz Punk IPA. I love the brilliant pale colour of this beer and the punch in the face hop profile.

I wanna use a simple malt bill. and aiming at a O.G 1.055 was thinking 100% Marris Otter, also gonna use 100% NZ Cascades for the hops.
This is my first attempt brewing with such a basic recipe.

would it be an idea maybe using 10 or so percent Wheat malt to aid head retention? How about using pilsner malt instead of the marris?
any ideas on a hop schedule? gonna aim at about 50 IBU's.

Has anybody brewed a beer like this if so how did it turn out?

I reckon you need some chinook in there if you want it something like punk ipa. As far as I can tell, the almost harsh bitterness comes from the chinook. Have a look here for some other ideas: http://www.brewdog.com/punk_ipa.php
Love that beer.

An American IPA is still balanced - although the balance is skewed towards the bitterness, it takes a good solid malty backbone to support the hops. Keep that in mind when you are devising your grain bill.

I don't think a straight Cascade would match Marris Otter. I would go the Pale malt with 5 to 10% Wheat, as you said to aid the head retention. Punch the figures in BeerSmith or what ever program you use to get the IBU correct, but I would keep it down a lot from 50IBU as you don't have a big malt backbone. Myself with this base malt, I would aim for 15 to 20IBU. Then ferment using something like a german lager yeast.

Actually this is starting to sound like the brew I did today, I'm aiming for a 4% abv beer but instead of Cascade I used Hallertauer and added in the 15IBU at 60mins.

QldKev

An American IPA is still balanced - although the balance is skewed towards the bitterness, it takes a good solid malty backbone to support the hops. Keep that in mind when you are devising your grain bill.

so how do you pull off a single malt grain bill keeping a good malt/hops balance??

maybe high mash temp?

ok, just re-read the topic title; IPA.

what I described would be a cascade lager.

For an IPA you would need a lot more malt backbone, throw in 2kg Munich and get the IBU back up to 50IBU with most the hops late hops, and dry hops.

Forget the single malt idea, unless you want to use straight Munch I, but I don't think you would get away with just Cascade then.

QldKev

Maris otter will work, the poms make barleywine with straight maris otter, but I think 50 ibu is the max

I used 76% pale malt, 15% munich 1, 5% c20, 2%c60,1.5% c120, 0.5% roast barley and 60 IBU. It tates great and will be making it again.

As Kev said you need a big malt backbone to carry the hops

Paul

Throw in some vienna or munich ... plus some caramunich, even crystal... otherwise it just wont be balanced with that many IBUs.

Check out some of the recipes in the DB .. eg 4*'s AIPA

Chuck in a bit of crystal (300g or so) and Wyeast1272 and you're looking at an IPA(ish) version of Epic Pale Ale (although they do use US cascade which does change things, of course). Would be a nice enough beer. Not sure why it is being suggested MO won't work with Cascade.

apparently brew dogz is 100% Marris Otter @ 1.056 6%alc
and hopped to 68 IBU's

anyway im not out to brew a clone, i've just got a shit load of fresh cascade in the freezer and would like to make the beer a nice pale yellow colour, I looked at the brew dogs web site and found the specs on there beer and saw that there's was a single malt bill.

Scrumpy.

I agree that the beer needs a alot more maltiness in the grain bill. I make an American IPA as a standard. Here are my suggestions.

30% Munich 1

You probably don't need the wheat malt for head retention as the hops will give you that.

I used to aim for 50 IBU but now go for 65. Alot of hop additions at 20mins and flameout.

I now use a 'neutral' hop (POR at the moment) at 60 mins as it takes away some of the astringency that Cascade and some other American hops can give. Of course it depends on what you are after.

Good luck
Matt

OK folks here is what i have come up with....i've taken aboard some of the advice i've been given..

hopfully there is enough munich and crystal malts in there to balance the hop profile of the beer aswell as keeping
the colour down. Im prob gonna ferment with wyeast 1272 since i have not used it before. can anybody tell me how it
compares to 1056?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cascade IPA
Brewer: Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L