All Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on what it smells like. It's always good practice to leave the beer or cider on the yeast for a few days after it's finished. It gives it time to clean up and finish off.

Kabooby :)

Like an apple farted after a big night on curry and beer.

I'll leave it several days and see if it dissipates. I'm optimistic.

Actually just went out the shed and had a sniff. The smell is almost completely gone.

Can't wait for this - only ever had kit HB cider before.

Thats what mine smelled like!
Putting the copper in cleared the smell within 48 hours.

Most 'real' ciders you get here in the UK taste like rotting vegetables and are pretty aweful. Perry is even worse.
Most traditionalists like it because its er traditional. they also like Morris dancing etc

I'm hoping to get something like a magner's or aspall - not a compost bin.

Tradition is less interesting to me than drinking nice alcoholic beverages I made myself

Most 'real' ciders you get here in the UK taste like rotting vegetables and are pretty aweful. Perry is even worse.
Most traditionalists like it because its er traditional. they also like Morris dancing etc
Oh perry! I remember trying a couple of those over in thr UK. Smells like nail polish remover! :icon_vomit:

I am a bit late to add to this thread. I make cider from my own apples, 150 L this year. I don't use pms or mms (camden tablets), just champagne yeast. Maybe because I use a mix of my own apples (crabs, cider and dessert, with some pears) I don't have any problems with pongy "rotten egg" ferments. I do a "malo lactic" ferment using commercial Lactic acid bacteria after the main ferment, which softens the taste considerably. A malo is very easy with cider because it is very high in malic acid. After that I bottle the same as beer.
Dessert apples give a fairly insipid cider, if you can get some wild or bitter cider apples it improves the flavour considerably. I dont think apples should be left after picking, just mill them and press straight away, and rehydrate the yeast in warm water before pitching for a better ferment. I use a garden mulcher as my mill.

Sodium met sanitiser will produce SO2 when added to water. Your kit has nothing to do with it.

This odour (SO2) dissipates over 24-48h.

When making cider from apples i juiced all the apples and let the juice sit in a fermenter with 1 campden tablet. 24-48 hours later i rack the juice into another fermenter leaving behind the thick crusty layer that forms on the top.

Then i pitch a yeast - Wyeast 4766 is the only one i will use for ciders.

Franko is the cider master and adds small amounts of malt extract to his cider.

You dont need to add dextrose to dry it out, apple juice will ferment out dry by itself.

You should add some nutrient as mentioned to help the yeast along.

Have fun!

Cheers
DrSmurto

G'day Brewers,

I have got 24L of cold pressed apple juice to make cider. I have campden tablets, but the packaging says use 1 tablet per 5L. Can someone please clarify how many tablets I should use to kill of the wild yeast and bacteria? Thnaks.

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Back