Ale V Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am personally yet to try a liquid lager yeast, mainly due to the fact that I never attempted a starter and the fact that if you don't make a decent starter you would need 3.4 packs of lager yeast for a 20L 4.7% beer.

I have used single packs of s-189 at 15degrees and was fine. Haven't really got right into the Lagers as much. :(
+1, i do a mid strength lager and use s189 single pack rehydrated at 17deg for 2 weeks and turns out nice, only took 5 days to reach attenuation.
is 2 packs of yeast gonna improve it any ?

+1, i do a mid strength lager and use s189 single pack rehydrated at 17deg for 2 weeks and turns out nice, only took 5 days to reach attenuation.
is 2 packs of yeast gonna improve it any ?

Pitching S189 at 17C is not really a typical "lager" pitch.

Here's how Urquell apparently pitch. I find this very difficult to believe having tried to replicate it exactly (only thing I didn't do was saturate the wort with pure O2 - which is the only thing I can think they must do to get it to freakin work).

The brewers pitch about 0.5 L of a thick yeast suspension per hectoliter of hopped wort, which translates to about 15 million yeast cells/mL. The yeast is pitched at 39 F (4 C), and primary fermentation lasts 11 days. The temperature is allowed to rise to a maximum of 48 F (9 C) before fermentation is halted and the young beer from each of the fermentors is combined for lagering (18).

I would love to hear from anyone who has even got 2001 @ 15 million/ml to even fire at 4C...

Pitching S189 at 17C is not really a typical "lager" pitch.

Here's how Urquell apparently pitch. I find this very difficult to believe having tried to replicate it exactly (only thing I didn't do was saturate the wort with pure O2 - which is the only thing I can think they must do to get it to freakin work).

The brewers pitch about 0.5 L of a thick yeast suspension per hectoliter of hopped wort, which translates to about 15 million yeast cells/mL. The yeast is pitched at 39 F (4 C), and primary fermentation lasts 11 days. The temperature is allowed to rise to a maximum of 48 F (9 C) before fermentation is halted and the young beer from each of the fermentors is combined for lagering (18).

I would love to hear from anyone who has even got 2001 @ 15 million/ml to even fire at 4C...

I also think that quote is bullshit. As i've said before, i think it's a lost in translation issue in that article on a number of things, especially the 'halted' phrase. But anyway, I run my WY 2001 at 9C and pitch 93 billion cells = 4.65 million/mL and it lags a fair bit but gets going with very little activity... always finishes out though.

A very rough guide to lager making process is:
BIAB
pitch two packets of s-189 at 18c for 21litres
tempmate controlled ferment at 12c for two weeks.

Lager time was only 2 weeks, so it was very young. And i think since i didnt use whirloc this time ( i ran out) and i didnt gelatine it tasted very yeastie still.

So i think whirloc and gelatine, along with two months lagering.

I don't think lagers are harder to make then ales. I've only used s189 though. I ferment @ 12C for 10days, drop them down to 1-2C for a few days and then into the fridge. I'm not a huge fan of lagers in general so they stay in the fridge for a few weeks.

I make them for megaswillers, and they enjoy them. They say that it tastes just like 'real beer', whereas my ales are 'fruity'. :)

On a side note i'm still using s189 from a packet of yeast i bought ages ago (maybe 6 months). I ran out when i moved so i recultured some from a bottle of a brew. NOt sure if it will work, i'm pitching this afternoon :) Its an awesomely cheap yeast. The starter smells a little funky, but its been pretty hot lately.

EDITED TO ADD~ I read the cube chilling suggestion so i'm just waiting for the cube to cool. I usually back to back brew but i only have fermenting space for one at the moment and i wanted to make a lager.

Latest posts

Back