Aldi 8 Litre Pressure Cooker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpiwek

Reaction score
pc.jpg

Hi all,

Ive got my eye on Aldis pressure cooker. What do you think? I remember seeing them in department stores a while back and I recall the price being a small fortune especially for the larger ones so I thought I should take advantage of this one. (Once Aldi runs out of an item you probably wont see it again)

So what do you think of this one? heres the stats:

 18/10 stainless steel
 5mm encapsulated base
 Includes basket, stand and instruction booklet
 5 safety systems
 3 pressure settings
 Silicone gasket (to help prolong life of gasket)
 Suitable for all cooking surfaces including induction
Do many people have these in there brewery? What kind of tasks do you use them for in sterilizing or would it be a little over kill for a modest all grain brewer? Im slowly getting into yeast culturing and figured it would be handy to have down the track when I know a little more of how to use them in a brewery. A pressure cooker is the same as auto caving right? Its all new to me at the moment. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll check it out at my local ALDI.

T

View attachment 12300

Hi all,

Ive got my eye on Aldis pressure cooker. What do you think? I remember seeing them in department stores a while back and I recall the price being a small fortune especially for the larger ones so I thought I should take advantage of this one. (Once Aldi runs out of an item you probably wont see it again)

So what do you think of this one? heres the stats:

 18/10 stainless steel
 5mm encapsulated base
 Includes basket, stand and instruction booklet
 5 safety systems
 3 pressure settings
 Silicone gasket (to help prolong life of gasket)
 Suitable for all cooking surfaces including induction
Do many people have these in there brewery? What kind of tasks do you use them for in sterilizing or would it be a little over kill for a modest all grain brewer? Im slowly getting into yeast culturing and figured it would be handy to have down the track when I know a little more of how to use them in a brewery. A pressure cooker is the same as auto caving right? Its all new to me at the moment. Thanks for the input.

If you are going to do some yeast farming, a pressure cooker is essential kit if you cannot lay your hands on an autoclave.

Pressure cooking items sterilises them. This is essential for yeast culture media (test tubes with agar and petri dishes of agar.) It has to be done for the right amount of time and at the right pressure.

I also pressure cook the small wort that is used for the very first step, 50ml of wort in a 100ml erlenmeyer, with the opening covered in foil. Do not put sealed containers into a pressure cooker, they may burst.

Eventually, the rubber components need replacing, that is the seals and safety valves. My local hardware store sells these bits for my pressure cooker, not sure if an Aldi cooker is compatable with a standard namco or prestige style seal.

Sometimes you can pick up cheap pressure cookers at op shops, do make sure that you get at least the body, lid and weight. They will probably then need a seal kit and safety valve.

Magefesa ain't a bad brand, it's no WMF or Tefal but it will do the job for brewing. 8.5L should be big enough for autoclaving most stuff, and it doubles as a stockpot without the lid.

Looks like this one - the FAVOR:

15-FAVOR.gif

Latest posts

Back