alcohol taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
Can anyone describe what sort of taste high alcohol adds to beer?

Google showed this:

Alcoholic

Tastes/Smells Like:
Overpowering alcohol flavor, bitter, acetone, paint thinner, spicy, sharp, undesirable
“hot” sensation in the throat
Possible Causes:
Fusel alcohols such as propanol, butanol, isobutanol, and isoamyl alcohol as well
as phenolic alcohols such as tyrosol are usually responsible for unpleasant alcohol
flavors. Limited amounts of these alcohols can be desirable in high alcohol beers such
as barley wines or strong ales and are much more noticeable in lighter style beers. The
most common source for such alcohols is fermenting at too high of a temperature,
however, keeping beer on the trub for too long or oxidation can cause this as well.
How to Avoid:
Avoid fermenting at temperatures exceeding 80ºF. If the beer is going to be sitting
in the fermenter for longer than a couple weeks, it is a good idea to remove as much
sediment from the wort as possible before transferring it to the fermenter. A secondary
fermenter can also be used to help reduce the amount of contact time the beer has
with the trub.

The belting hangover the next day when you could "swear you didn't drink that much" is also an indication, but by that stage, it's too late...

Just trying to fault find a brew that went wrong. It seems to go to my head so thought maybe the odd taste was alcohol related.

I find it pretty much the same as cheap spirits, if that is fault you're looking for.

I just have two brews in a row that I am having a lot of trouble pinpointing why they taste like crap. I sip, analyse, sip think. I don't have the experience but figure by trying to work it out, that is how you get experience.

It is pretty seldom you'll get a boozy taste with a normal strength beer, so long as you didn't completely abuse your yeast by fermenting very warm. It does take a lot of experience to pinpoint brewing problems by smell and taste.

The good news is the best way to learn is to brew more, and perhaps even more importantly, drink more (including commercial/craft).

What did you do?

Talk us through it & maybe we can nut it out between us. The answer is often in the process.

There was a small brewery near me that brewed 5 or 6 different beers.The top one was 7% alc.It tasted as tho it had a very smooth scotch whisky in it.Not a lot but now I remember it was really there.I reckoned that it was their best tasting beer but 3 pots of it would put me on my ear.I saw one big bloke drink 5 sitting on a stool with 2 blokes keeping him upright.Think that was a record.
The question was how to tell a high alcohol taste,this tasted good.High alcohol doesn't have to taste like kerosine.If it really has a kick,one or two pots will let you know anyway.

I'm going to get on my "ex-judge" high horse here & say that if a beer is "high" alcohol, then you can probably tell it from the nose alone. That alone is enough to mark it down in a competition before it gets into your mouth.

After that, it shows in the overall flavour of the beer itself (forgive me for not elaborating, it's a judge-thang!).

Finally, if it's a "biggie", it will give the impression of "This Is just hangover-material", without being rounded.

fletcher said:
this pdf helped me sharpen my tastes for off-flavours. have a gander :)

attachicon.gif
off_flavor.pdf
Great document fletcher, thanks heaps for linking.

wombil said:
There was a small brewery near me that brewed 5 or 6 different beers.The top one was 7% alc.It tasted as tho it had a very smooth scotch whisky in it.Not a lot but now I remember it was really there.I reckoned that it was their best tasting beer but 3 pots of it would put me on my ear.I saw one big bloke drink 5 sitting on a stool with 2 blokes keeping him upright.Think that was a record.
The question was how to tell a high alcohol taste,this tasted good.High alcohol doesn't have to taste like kerosine.If it really has a kick,one or two pots will let you know anyway.
There's a difference between high alcohol annd hot alcohol. You can have very smooth tasting, strong beer or it can be rough, sharp and hot.

Latest posts

Back