Alcohol Taste Using 1388?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens-Kristian

Reaction score
Hi,

Question about my fourth brew (AG);

I'm brewing a Belgian sort of thing that is now sitting in the fermenter. It was a fairly high gravity wort - 1074 - higher than I had planned as my efficiency has kept rising above what I was expecting and is now at 90%.

It's been in the primary for ten days now and has dropped to about 1018, making the ABV appr. 7.3% Most of the fermentation has happened at 22-24 degrees celsius.

I've had a taste of it and it has a pretty dominant taste of alcohol - much more so than my previous one which ended up at about 6.9% where I used T-58 dried yeast.

Does anyone know if 1388 produces a stronger taste of alcohol than T-58?

The taste is not bad by any means and I am pretty sure that we're not talking higher level alcohols or any such. It's a fairly clean taste of alcohol but somwhat more than my palate appreciates. It seems that most of the 'interesting' tastes are overpowered by the alcohol.

I'll just add that I am not really into trying to get very high levels of alcohol. I'm into taste more than anything, and as such I care fairly little about ABV; If it tastes great at 3% I'll be as happy with that as with 5%.

So, does anyone else have experience with this and is the alcoholic taste something that will mellow with maturation?

If not, can I do something about it to introduce more flavour? Dry-hopping? Adding other tastes of some sort, like orange peel or whatever? Suggestions?

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Back