Airlock stopped bubbling!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test the hydrometer in water first to see how accurate it is . In water it should read 1.000 if it reads higher than that adjust the reading accordingly . That is in water it reads for eg 1.004 and you get a reading of 1.014 from your wort cause its not beer yet , then the reading will be 1.010 . The water temp should be below 25 * C for an accurate reading . For ales try to ferment at around 18* C this will give you a better flavoured beer . It will also take a little longer to ferment but it will turn out better .

Thanks for the replies guys. Got home this afternoon and did gravity testing, brews are both at 1010! So temperature at 23-24 degrees for 3 days and the brew is ready too be bottled. I am also keeping a dairy on everything we do and how each different brew goes, will be bottling tomorrow if ready is still the same. And another two brews will go down.

I wouldn't bottle it after 3 days, regardless of whether FG is reached or not. Leave it at least another week so the yeast can clean up after itself...

Okay, well everyone seems too have different opinions. The people at the home brew shop here, tell me too bottle it tomorrow. Everyone on here has different opinions on how long also. Sorta makes it hard too know when haha. Considering it's my first brew I don't have a lot of knowledge. At the moment it's at FG, it smells fine, and doesn't taste too bad. I'll keep and reading and seeing what I find and what people say. Thanks for all your help

If your lhbs is saying to bottle after 3 days, find a new one.

Think you'll find 99% of the people here will say to leave it at least a week from pitching, mostly 10-14+ days.

I only go less than 10 (but at least 7) if I need to fill a keg. Most are 14 days.

Okay and what happens if the brew begins too from a skin? Does it matter?

What do you mean by "a skin"? If it's foamy bubbly stuff, that's ok. If it's white spider webby stuff that has big white bubbles, that's bad.

Okay so my uncle brews dark ale at the same temp here as this brew I have done, if he leaves his ferment longer then 5-6 days it begins too from a skin. I guess I'll just watch it and see how long it will last for. Does it matter if I take the lid off too have a look in?

In general most brewers would leave it for at least another week so the yeast can clean up after itself and you will also end up with clearer beer .

I find it easy to work on the 14 day timing.
If I brew on a Friday night, I should say start fermenting on a Friday night, I will wait two weeks to bottle. Then it's not a school night and I can get on the beers while doing it !
Fermentation should be done by then and as stated above the yeast has had ample time to clean up.

CF

Ok so leaving it for two weeks. When do you pitch your yeast? Do you pitch it straight away on the first night you put it down or do you wait a couple of days. I pitched mine straight away as it was cold enough to do so

Best to leave the lid on and take samples from the tap, removing the lid is just inviting an infection and infected beer tastes like arse,

By skin on it do you mean a creamy whitish brown fluffy thing or a thin white stringy looking skin?

Yeah as rehab says, leave lid on.

Yep, two weeks from pitching yeast.
Serves two purposes, I can forget it for two weeks and the yeast has lots of time to party.

CF

I'm not sure what type of skin yet as I am not at that stage. My uncle says he begins too get a skin after 5 days so he always bottles at day 5-6. I will be leaving mine longer and see what happens. I'll take another gravity reading this afternoon and see where it's at still.

You can bottle your beer as soon as you have 2 days stable readings in the range you expected.
Your beer will taste better and be clearer if you leave it 5-7 days after you reach steady readings. Which you will appreciate no end.
If your brew forms a skin then it is probably infected and it won't make a difference if you bottle at day 5 or day 55.
Take the lid off your brew twice only...once to add dry hops if doing so, twice to check how it is right before bottling.
If your cleaning and sanitisng is up to scratch then there is no reason to expect an infection and if you don't get a weird taste in your hydro samples then nothing to worry about.

Back