Airlock still bubbling after 8 days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes remove the airlock before pouring.
Change the water and replace.

Don't worry too much about sanitising your tap when sampling. Sanitisers protect against bacteria which lead to infection. If you are new to brewing just remove the airlock, draw a sample from the tap, and put the airlock back in.
Look at buying an acid based sanitiser from your home brew shop if you have one, or try one of the sponsors linked at the top of the site. It's a very simple product that will minimise the chance if infections and this ruining your brew.
Good luck, hopefully your first brew will be a winner.

Lowlyf said:
Okay so what I will do is this:
Open tap and pour beer into cylinder, and place hydrometer. Measure FG level and taste. Write down level. Throw out beer.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but my question is, how do I sanitise the tap after I take the reading?
AND
When I pour the beer, will all the gross murky airlock water be sucked into the fermenter? Do I crack the lid before pouring? Do I check for any infections on the surface?

Thanks guys - I appreciate it
Open tap. Pour beer. Measure FG. Write down level. Drink rest of sample!
I don't bother sanitising tap until ready to bottle or keg. Never bothered to remove airlock either and no infection to date.However I do put starsan solution in airlock.Top up solution if low. Your beer WONT spoil within 3 weeks if it wasn't infected to begin with and temps weren't sky high.
Progress to all grain asap!

Just to confirm, I am using a no rinse sanitiser called Star-san.

TheWiggman said:
Don't worry too much about sanitising your tap when sampling. Sanitisers protect against bacteria which lead to infection. If you are new to brewing just remove the airlock, draw a sample from the tap, and put the airlock back in.
Look at buying an acid based sanitiser from your home brew shop if you have one, or try one of the sponsors linked at the top of the site. It's a very simple product that will minimise the chance if infections and this ruining your brew.
Good luck, hopefully your first brew will be a winner.
Wiggman,I have( respectfully) issue with what you have said,as follows.
Removing the airlock for sampling can introduce bacteria/nasties...don't do it !
And not worrying about sanitising the tap ? ...do it !
As I do, pour from the tap into the sampling tube slowly so it does not cause the water in he airlock to be sucked into the fermentor there by contaminating the brew. The water in the airlock is a barrier to stop the nasties.
After drawing a sample from the fermentor tap I zap the tap with a spray bottle mix of sanitiser to ward of any possible nasties.
This practice has worked for me over the last 15 years.
Again no probs just my 2 cents worth .
Cheers.....spog.....

Wigmann, sorry if I came across as abrupt.
I was trying to do several things at once when I posted my reply,which proves I'm bloody useless at multi tasking,just ask my wife.
I've just finished sorting bits and pieces and thought back about my post and realised it came across as abrupt.

No offence taken. Just putting myself in the shoes of someone on their first brew. I successfully* brewed infection-free beers for years without sanitiser and I don't want to go into the details of 'ideal' sanitation with someone just starting. The risk is very, very low that a finished or near-finished beer will be ruined by following what I said. While not a pro, I'm pretty confident of that.

*successful = infection-free, but wow did I brew some ordinary beers

angry-kitten-8950920.jpg

Cheers for the comments guys. I've been on many a forum in my time but none have been as informative and friendly as this one. Big ups to the Aussie Home Brewer family!

Latest posts

Back