Ahtanum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahtanum is best paired with another hop in my experience, Amarillo or Cascade are my personal favourites, 50/50 late or cube additions.

Makes for a cracking pale ale, not quite fruit salad. but getting there.

I agree, it's a bit more subtle than either Cascade or Amarillo, mine were all cube additions and a keg hop, great if you are after are more mild sort of a beer and not one ripping your face off... of course, there is a time and a place for both, just depends on the beer.'

Id have to say though, more suited to a pale ale than an IPA for example :icon_drool2:

ed: also some discussion HERE may be of benefit to you

Cheers for the help guys.

I've been trying to use it in place of cascade in hoping to get a similar floral flavor with maybe a bit more fruit to it with little success. I tried Ahtanum and chinook together and makes a very average beer IMO. I've just bottled a Ahtanum + Mosaic (cheers Yob) on a cerveza kit base today and I'm hoping it works out better.

I had planned on using it with vic secret and/or galaxy in an partial+extract brew tomorrow with coopers commercial yeast but now I'm wondering if I should just sub it out for cascade instead. Just to be safe...

You would probably have to either bump up the ahtanum or make the vic secret/galaxy additions smallish (which would be a good idea anyway) to really get the notes from it, vic secret and galaxy are fairly heavy hitters and will tend to dominate.

:)

Cheers Yob, will do as you suggest...

No Spiesy, as this is just an partial+extract brew, I'll just do a a 8 - 10 litre boil and then top it up in the fermenter with 10 - 15 litres of chilled water. I find this gets it down to under 30'c almost immediately so I treat it as being chilled.

MOD: I'm going to merge this back to the original Ahtanum description, because the info that @OP requested and what's come of it is exactly what the hop descriptions forum is for. Good discussion.

Just cracked the first bottle of the Ahtanum/Mosiac Cerveza today. It's a nice, kinda like a Centennial/Amarillo brew I did in earlier batch but with more fruit than floral tones. A lovely smooth drink though I might bitter it a bit more next time. You weren't wrong Yob; it's a good combo - cheers for that.

So I'm far from giving up on Ahtanum just yet. I think my first brew with it (Ahtanum/Chinook combo) just wasn't a good hop pairing IMHO.

- Meno

Using this a bit at the moment got one on tap partying with cascade and a citra dry hop which is drinking nicely.

Also have it fermenting with vic secret and galaxy so will see how that goes.

Tahoose said:
Also have it fermenting with vic secret and galaxy so will see how that goes.
I don't doubt you're onto a good thing there Tahoose.

My Orchid Sparkling ale is hopped with Ahtanum, Vic Secret and Galaxy too. I think it turned out really well but I'm glad I took Yobs advice and upped the Ahtamun additions while reducing the Vic and Galaxy ones. All in all a good combo but Ahtanum has a softer flavor than a lot of other hops and needs a bit of a helping (heavy) hand to come through in the final product IMO.

Yeah I get what you mean, adds a gentle earthyness, which gives the beer another dimension when its with all of the citrus type hops.

Just had a glass of the ahtanum/cascade/citra, even SWMBO is impressed. Checked the notes and the dry hop was ahtanum/citra.

Latest posts

Back