Ahopalypse Now - oak aged imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blissiictrl

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member, reasonably new all grain brewer.

I've finished my first all grain, an American style amber ale (recipe to follow), but I'd like a bit of C&C on this - it's my own recipe

My intent is a huge, old school IIPA, aged in oak like they were in the 1700s and 1800s.
Intent is around 10% ABC and at least 150 IBU

Ahopalypse Now

Style: Imperial IPA OG: 1.103
Type: All Grain FG: 1.026
ABV: 10.09 %
IBU's: 168.44
Color: 14.8 SRM
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Preboil OG: 1.087
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
1000g Caraamber
1000g Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
500g Carafoam
1000g Munich
500g Amber Dry Extract
6.00 kg Briess Pale Ale Malt

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
75.00 g 122.89 Apollo 90 mins 18.50
30.00 g 24.82 Chinook 30 mins 13.00
15.00 g 16.40 Citra 60 mins 13.20
30.00 g 4.32 Hallertauer 10 mins 4.80

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1 act pkgs British Ale II Wyeast Labs 1335

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
100.00 g Bourbon Barrel Chips 14 days Primary
1 sachet. Yeast Nutrient 14 days Primary
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
100.00 g Bourbon Barrel Chips 21 days Secondary

Mash - Brew BIAB
Add 2.5 L/kg water
Up to strike
Mash in
60 min mash
Mash out
Sparge up to a 23 litre boil
Boil 90 min

Fermentation Steps
2 weeks primary
4 weeks secondary
4 weeks

A kilo of caraamber seems a little too high for me, it'll make it a tad too cloying for my liking. I'd have different hops, especially the late hops but that comes down to personal taste- hallertauer as a big part of th he flavor doesn't do much for me, I would go for something American or NZ. A four week secondary is longer than necessary, but it won't be a problem.

I made a bourbon chip oaked porter a year or two back, which was loverly! .....but it got very oaked quite quikly. I used a sterilised nylon strainer bag to hold the oak in the keg, had a sample every few days, then pulled it out when I got the desired amount of flavour. About 7 days was enough for me, even with a dark flavourful beer like a porter the oak was starting to overpower other flavours

I agree on the 7 days for the oak. I did an oaked scottish ale. Similar process, except I did it in second as rh not keg. Just taste it every day or so roll you get the desired taste.

Bear in mind the flavors blend and become a bit smoother or mellow as it ages.

I found it got a lot better with aging.

Also if you are soaking the chips in bourbon yourself, drain the bourbon off before tipping into the brew. I didn't, it was still very good but more bourbon than oak even though it was only about 30mls of bourbon

Good luck with it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Alright, I might play with the cara Amber a bit, this was made primarily to remove hops I have on hand, haha.

I was thinking of playing with it, as I said its an experimental at this stage :)

Alright, I might play with the cara Amber a bit, this was made primarily to remove hops I have on hand, haha.I was thinking of playing with it, as I said its an experimental at this stage :)

Alright, revised the bill:

7kg 2 row
1kg Munich
1kg dextrose
500 Carafoam
250 cara Amber
250 amber DME
150 cara aroma

Thoughts?

Not sure 250g of Amber dme is going to do much in that grain bill

Latest posts

Back