AHB Wiki: Which type of bottle to choose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again this one is a bit of a 'bare bones' article, to get the ball rolling on this topic. It's a pros/cons list more than anything else, if someone feel like turning the list into a more essay-like style, then that'll be fine :)

It says on there that PET bottles are porous and are not good for storing long term (6 months). This is true, however if you are using the Coopers PET bottles, this is what coopers has to say about this

"The majority of PET bottles are porous (a beverage held in PET will eventually go flat). However, Coopers PET bottles have a nylon barrier which helps to prevent both the ingress of oxygen and the loss of CO2 for up to 18 months. If you are wanting to make a big ale or stout and age it for 2 years or more, you may choose to use good quality glass bottles."

However - if you believe everything they put on there you will be fermenting at 32 degrees...

I have no qualms about the point format style. In some ways it's far more informative than an essay.

Just a couple of things to consider.

There are glass bottles that use plastic lids (e.g. ginger beer & apple juice 750ml). As long as they were used for carbonated drinks they should be fine.

A general comment saying that bottles that were not used/designed for use for carbonated drinks should not be used.

I would like to add something to the Pros/Cons of Grolsch bottles.

They have two types of seals. One is like Rubber and the other is like Nylon.

I'm thinking the Nylon type are better.

Overall, I recommend glass Grolsch bottles, as there is no metal to "rust" in contact with the product. Also, when empty, a quick rinse, drain for a day, re-seal, sterilise, go again when next ferment is finished.

I'm looking for some info on the two types of seals if someone can oblige?

Latest posts

Back