Agitating Polyclar With Ultrasonics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has tried mixing or agitating Polyclar with an ultrasonic machine? I've got a little ultrasonic cleaner and am thinking about using that.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried mixing or agitating Polyclar with an ultrasonic machine? I've got a little ultrasonic cleaner and am thinking about using that.

nah - just put it in the 1 year olds bottle (sealed) and let him walk around the house with it for a while, the frustrated shaking does the job well :lol:

I wonder if that could be used for a yeast starter - the ultra sonics might do the same job as a stir plate.

Agitation - yeast kept in suspension - surface tension of the liquid messed up allowing gas exchange - increased surface area of liquid ???

If it would agitate polyclar, it might do all that too?????

I wonder if that could be used for a yeast starter - the ultra sonics might do the same job as a stir plate.

Agitation - yeast kept in suspension - surface tension of the liquid messed up allowing gas exchange - increased surface area of liquid ???

If it would agitate polyclar, it might do all that too?????

Might kill them too ;)

cheers

Darren

But would it? I wasn't aware that ultrasonics had any microbicidal properties - do they?

I'm fairly sure sonication is a good way to bust open cells... whether it will break yeast cells or not I'm not sure.

One of those paint tin shakers you see at the hardware store would be the go. Generally though, silica hydrogel suspends pretty readily (not sure which of the umpteen different Polyclar products you're using). It won't dissolve, silica, you know that, right?

Getting isinglass to hydrate properly is harder and the paint tin shaker would definitely help there.

Polyclar is PVPP not silica, I think.

MFS.

P.S. Don't know about your sonicator but mine would cook if I left it on for an hour. Mind you, mine's 500W.

We use sonicators at work to specifically lyse bacteria and yeast, to extract proteins from them for biochemical analysis. You'll have better luck with your yeast just by tossing it straight into a wort, coz sonicating it will turn inactivated yeast into yeast extract (full of vitamin B, but with no fermentation properties!).

But going back to the question about polyclar, not yeast. You could probably help disperse it with a sonicator, but what's the point? Just stick it in your pocket and walk around with it for a while giving it a jiggle now and then.
I stick mine in a stir plate, but only because I have one and it's fractionally easier.

MFS.

Hello,

We,ATP Chemicals Group, are reliable supplier of Polyclar PVPP raw material,with high quality and competitive price.

Call or email to us, More info will sent to you at once.

Tel:+86 21 51698436
Fax:+86 21 51698436
atpchems dot com
Email to
info at atpchems dot com

Hello,

We,ATP Chemicals Group, are reliable supplier of Polyclar PVPP raw material,with high quality and competitive price.

Call or email to us, More info will sent to you at once.

Tel:+86 21 51698436
Fax:+86 21 51698436
atpchems dot com
Email to
info at atpchems dot com
Mate, instead of spamming this site, how about a bit more relative information, like the absolute correct rates and procedures for use? I think you should have just realized from your multiple cut and paste replies hat PVPP is not new around here.

Back