Ag Set-up Advice Needed Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
AG is around the corner. I have a 50lt converted keg with Zymico wldless tap and proble thermo. Will be picking up a rubbermaid coller on the week-emd and have the tap and thermo. March pump will be arriving shortly as well.
Is it possible to AG with the two vessels?
If so, how???

I will be away from the computer until tomorrow but any advice is appreciated and extremely helpful

Prost!

BGL

2 easy ways that I can think of

Heat your strike water in your converted keg, mash in, heat the rest of your water additions in your keg while you mash. Here is where the 2 methods vary:

Option 1: place your heated sparge water in to a spare vessel (like your fermenter, if it is boiling hot this will also help with sanitation) then you are free to drain your mash in to your converted keg for boiling. Proceed as usual from here

Option 2: drain your mash in to a spare vessel (like your fementer, it will need sanitising after this though), proceed to sparge as normal, then transfer all run of to the now empty converted keg.

Offy

2 easy ways that I can think of

Heat your strike water in your converted keg, mash in, heat the rest of your water additions in your keg while you mash. Here is where the 2 methods vary:

Option 1: place your heated sparge water in to a spare vessel (like your fermenter, if it is boiling hot this will also help with sanitation) then you are free to drain your mash in to your converted keg for boiling. Proceed as usual from here

Option 2: drain your mash in to a spare vessel (like your fementer, it will need sanitising after this though), proceed to sparge as normal, then transfer all run of to the now empty converted keg.

Off'y

+1

That is how I do it...well I do the option 2...but am starting to think of doing option 1 now... cheers

Phil

Option 1 sounds the best. I do have a spare fermenter anyway. How well will the fermenter hold the required sparge temp?

Yo,

I No-Chill in my fermenter, I run off my keggle about 10 minutes after the boil... so pretty hot and have never had an issue!

Looks like you are in! Good luck

Cheers

Option 1 sounds the best. I do have a spare fermenter anyway. How well will the fermenter hold the required sparge temp?

It depends on how you sparge and how long it takes for your run off. You will have to do some experimenting.
Just make it hotter then you need, you can mix it with some cold if it's still too hot later.

Each option is as valid as the other, both will work, both will work well. It's just a (very) minor pita that you have an extra step involved in the process.

Personally, I do option 2, have been since I started AG....

Back