Ag Or Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are at the stage of partials, I would suggest kegging to be the next step:

Pros:
Hell of a lot quicker to sanitise and fill
Hell of a lot quicker to "dump" if you get an infection or make a shocker
Beer on tap
Less soldiers on the sink in the morning
No need for priming sugar or caps

Cons:
You will need to buy gas
You will need more than one keg
You will drink more

feel free to add to the list.

cheers

Darren

Pros: Its quickly turning into summertime, so you can bulk brew for that hard earned thirst :chug:

Cons: I have 4 cornies and 1 tap - its a PITA each time you want to sample a different brew

+1 for kegging saving you grief in the summer time.

I know I start going through more beer in Spring / Summer, and that whole January / February heat wave thing really takes a toll on your fermenting if you don't have fermentation temp control or brew day if you're all grain. Standing anywhere near the Nasa burners with the temp above 30C in the sun (I brew outdoors) is just nuts. You do that once and it's NEVER AGAIN. So it's easy to run out of beer in the summer time if you're not prepared.

I can only fit one bucket in the fermentation fridge so in the dead of winter, so I also brew a couple of (good quality) kit lagers which can ferment happily at around 12~14C in the basement and they've been kegged now and are lagering for summer drinking. They'll happily sit there until January when I'll need them and they'll make fine lawnmower lagers.

So with all this extra beer that I brew at certain times of the year to cover either times that I can't brew or beers that I need to let condition for a long time, keg provide a nice convenient solution. They take up far less space than bottles do and it's easier to move one keg from the shed (or where ever you bottle) to it's final resting place than 25 bottles.

AG = better beer, but NOT guaranteed to be better beer. It does take practice so your first few brews may leave you wondering. Some people never seem to get it and go back to extract.

Kegs = convenience, better storage, and faster drinking (in case of emergencies, shake keg!!)

Cheers

if you have a look at the other AG v Kegs threads you'll find that a few of them have a polls with sustantitive responses. that should help your decision.

my 2c. keg. easier to accumu;late your AG rig over a period of time.

I can't speak for AG, as I haven't yet ventured down the path but i can however highly recommend kegs.
I have been using kegs for about a year and love it. Once you have your gas pressures down pat your beer will be great. Plus you get the added benefit of a much faster turn around time per brew for times when you need a batch of beer in a hurry..
Good luck

If you are at the stage of partials, I would suggest kegging to be the next step:

Pros:
Hell of a lot quicker to sanitise and fill
Hell of a lot quicker to "dump" if you get an infection or make a shocker
Beer on tap
Less soldiers on the sink in the morning
No need for priming sugar or caps

Cons:
You will need to buy gas
You will need more than one keg
You will drink more

feel free to add to the list.

cheers

Darren

Can definitely vouch for the fact you will drink more....and you will drink faster. Not sure if they're cons though.

Maybe im just ignorant or something, but I really dont see the attraction of kegs. Sure bottling can be a PITA, but then what happens when, like me, you want to fill up an esky full of beer to take camping for the weekend. Or to your mates house for a BBQ or dinner, or to the park, or to the beach etc etc? Id say only about 20% of my beer would be drunk at home. Do you guys never leave the house?

And do you then need one fridge for your kegs, and another for your fermenter?

If you're brewing for cheap plonk, go kegs.

If you're brewing because you love beer, go AG.

If both apply, spend the capital and do both.

If you're brewing for cheap plonk, go kegs.

If you're brewing because you love beer, go AG.

If both apply, spend the capital and do both.
easy the best answer yet :D

since no one seems to thinks searching for the thread i mentione dis a good idea... ive done it. here

With Kegs its also easier to empty 1 keg insted of 30 longnecks on the lawn for a failed brew.

kegs, its what got me into homebrewing, i still get a kick out of pouring beer from mine. and i enjoyed my beer when it was kitsnbits beer from my kegs too.

I just went through the same dilemma... Keg or Ag.

I chose KEG

And its the best thing I have ever done. Nothing better then pouring any icy cold beer straight from my fridge. Swear the beer tastes better too haha.

I read the question and now I understand why it is taking 4 pages to answer the question. I bet it will take another 10 because there is no answer.

The question was not if all grain or kegging would be a better choice for making beer. The question was what would be more enjoyable. Joy is subjective so there is no answer.

Latest posts

Back