Ag Equipment Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
Hi,

looking at going all grains, just wondering about the size of the gear I need.

I am looking at doing double batch size of around 46L.

I am looking at

40L urn for the HLT
38L Colman Cooler for the Mash Tun
60L SS or AL stockpot for the boiler

Should this be ok?

Cheers,

Youngy

Nope...

Your Kettle needs to be bigger.
At least 70ltrs but 100 is better.

The mash tun should be around 50ltrs - but if you fly sparge you can get away with the 38ltr Mash Tun.
HLT - 40ltr Urn will just about be big enough.
But you might still need 80+ litres depending on size and gravity of the batch.

Nope...

Your Kettle needs to be bigger.
At least 70ltrs but 100 is better.

The mash tun should be around 50ltrs - but if you fly sparge you can get away with the 38ltr Mash Tun.
HLT - 40ltr Urn will just about be big enough.
But you might still need 80+ litres depending on size and gravity of the batch.

02.gif
What Ken says!

Cool,

So Urn is OK,

Look @ a 60L Esky Techni Ice has one for $99 (cheaper on ebay), are these type of esky any better than the standard ones for a Mash Tun.

Where in Adelaide can I get a 75L - 100L stockpot @ a cheap price ?

Thanks in advance

Youngy

edit: added ebay

What's a cheap price? And would you prefer stainless or ally? ie: quality or economy...

I can do a few special prices, slightly lower than normal. AHB members only.

SS kettles for;

50 litre $210.00
70 litre $295.00
98 litre $355.00

All stainless pots Robinox brand with thick heat diffuser base and supplied with lids.

and in Ali (not my suggestion but I can get them);

60 litre $ 125.00
80 litre $ 150.00
100 litre $ 170.00
120 litre $ 199.00

All ali pots Robinox brand 4.0mm thickness supplied with lid..

Welded tap outlet conversions available for stainless pots, weldless kits available for the ali ones.

I'm in Adelaide, any of these would need to be pre-ordered as I don't keep them on the shelf. For the SS kettles order through my website and put the discount code AHB in the comments field . Email me direct for the ali pots, they're not on the website.

stainless or ally, it dose not matter to me, I have read the posts about that.

More about price that quality.

I have no idea on pricing for that size.

Cheers,

Cool,

So Urn is OK,

Look @ a 60L Esky Techni Ice has one for $99 (cheaper ebay), are these type of esky any better than the standard ones for a Mash Tun.

Where in Adelaide can I get a 75L - 100L stockpot @ a cheap price ?

Thanks in advance

Youngy

edit: added ebay

Theyre good because they have a double thickness insulated lid; as we know, hot air rises, so lot of people insulate the lid of their esky with expandafoam, if its not already done, to help improve temp stability.

I think the general consensus is that Allquip is one of the best online prices for stockpots, 100L ally at the bottom of this page for $138 - apart from that try kitchen and catering supply places, or those cheapo viatnamese cooking places can have pretty big pots cheap (not usually the best quality though)

That said, I don't use either and never have so might be way out in what I'm saying, so take it with a grain of salt :p

edit: regarding the cheap made asian stuff, just thought I'd make a point theres a place near me that sells a set of 4 (20qt, 16qt, 12qt, 8qt) of 18/10 stockpots for $50 - no massive sizes but cheap, and I got a kettle for a small batch biab system I'm making for a friend, the 8qt for a staino HERMS, one for decoctions, and a spare! :p

I'd be interested to here feedback from coleman users as I chose the willow 55L esky over the coleman 60L (depite the 5L difference) because the plastic inside of the coleman appeared to be quite thin and flimsy compared to the willow which was noticeably stronger and sturdier keeping in mind the repeated high temps.

I also use a 70L pot which has been great, but its still a bit of a nervous squeeze for double batches :unsure:

Cheers
BB

keeps brewday exciting BoilerBoy ;) wear thongs!

domonsura, Will let you know when I have the money to order the ali pots from you. Would pickup be ok, Im also in Klemzig.

Haven't got the urn, might go the 60L for the HLT and 80L for the kettle.

The Mush ton I will go with a 60L esky.

For those who are in Adelaide, there is a 20L and 40L urn on greysonline. Also they have a 60L SS pot on there.

Then ditch the hat and the shorts too.

But seriously folks, I reckon the 38L Coleman is what I'm after for my new mash tun. I might have to take a burn out to the nearest BCF to check one out and see if they are sturdy enough.

youngy try woodroffe equipent in gepps cross on cavan rd they sell ali and stainless pots but u will have to order em and about a 3 day turn around

As I write, I'm doing my second double-batch today - in other words, I'm currently brewing my 92nd litre for today.

I've done this in a 70lt Robinox pot and it's been a relaxing day.

There are very few advantatges to double-batching unless you brew the same one or two beers over and over or unless you have 50lt kegs and the set-ups for them.

So, why have I done two double-batches today?

I have a brewing mate around the corner who I have taught brewing to. This has many advantages. As long as you trust the brewer, every brew you do gets twice the result or, if you are adventurous, you can try twice the variations on a brew far more accurately than you can on your own.

I also now have six beers on tap (one fridge, one manifold, one tap.) 5 of these 6 are tried and trusted recipes and I know that they can't be buggered up easily. So, for me to entrust these recipes to be brewed well by someone else is no big deal.

So my only challenge is keeping the mainstream kegs full with the minumum of time and effort. The best way I have found of doing this is having a brewing partner as described above.

As you brew, your tastes will develop and you will never ever want two kegs tied up with the same beer. So, double-batching only becomes relevant when you find that ONE beer that you REALLY love.

So, don't worry about double-batches for now when you consider equipment.

Mind you, you should consider BIAB and you should look that method up as it will save you considerable time and money and enable your double-batches should you so desire (make sure you have a 70lt pot though.) I used to batch-sparge but today would habeen a bit of a mare had I done it that way.

All the best to you,
Pat.

P.S. Youngy, if you have any further queries, then email me via the My Profile thingo.

Morning Edit for Matti!: Only had full-strengths last night hence the post - lol. I'll send you a pic though of how to manage the double-batch BIAB's later today ;)

(Great to see you posting again PP. :) )

I've got a 70L litre Pot on order because want to brew less often and since i've got two 20L cubes I can swap with other brewers that brew double batches. This way I won't need to drink the same beer.

Later in life I may start kegging, and swapping kegs seems the go I hear through M.A.L.E members ;)

I agree that Willow eskies are a good choice as they are not that flimsy and stronger. 55 litre is a good size.
Demonsura has got some great false bottom for these and there are good feed back on the forum from those who use them.

As for hot water urn 40 Litre seems right but doing 46 litre batches you be better of with a larger urn IMHO.

I am also getting an immersion heater.
These are great for getting rid of cold spot as you can stir the mash same time as getting it to reach right temps.
Especially if you are into step mashing.

BIAB and doing double batches 46L you need a crane (IMO) to lift the grain bag, but as you can see in the BIAB thread, it has been done.

Good luck and enjoy
matti

Thanks for the responses.

Going the double batch so friends can help and take home some beer.

My old dishwasher just died, can I use the element in the HLT (need to be bent to go out the side of the HLT)? looking at the MashMaster controller to control it.

Is the pump any good for a HERM setup?

Also I have replaced my old electric hot water to gas. It is still sitting in the roof, can I use the element from that for the kettle?

Anything else worth getting from these? motor for mash tun etc.....

Cheers,

Back