Ag 'corona Style' Knockoff - Flamesuit On!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I've got all the ingredients but my trial version of Beersmith wont let me dial in a recipe

I've got 2 kg's each of flaked maize & flaked rice & around 5kg's of Pils malt, going by Ross' calculations of 55% Pils, 25% Corn & 20% Rice I've decided to go with a 4kg grain bill like this:

2.2kg Pils (55%)
1kg Maize (25%)
800g Rice (20%)

that way I can get two batches out of the ingredients I have.

I run a single vessel recirculating biab rig in a 70L pot, so I could possibly just double the above numbers.

If anyone can help me out with water volumes & OG figures that'd be awesome!

I also got a hold of some Galena hops, which were suggested for this style of beer, they have an AA of 12% so any advice on hop additions would be awesome.

just realised this thread is in the wrong area, hopefully that's why I got no response. Was hoping on brewing this on the weekend, so any help with the recipe would be appreciated.

breakbeer said:
So, I've got all the ingredients but my trial version of Beersmith wont let me dial in a recipe

I've got 2 kg's each of flaked maize & flaked rice & around 5kg's of Pils malt, going by Ross' calculations of 55% Pils, 25% Corn & 20% Rice I've decided to go with a 4kg grain bill like this:

2.2kg Pils (55%)
1kg Maize (25%)
800g Rice (20%)

that way I can get two batches out of the ingredients I have.

I run a single vessel recirculating biab rig in a 70L pot, so I could possibly just double the above numbers.

If anyone can help me out with water volumes & OG figures that'd be awesome!

I also got a hold of some Galena hops, which were suggested for this style of beer, they have an AA of 12% so any advice on hop additions would be awesome.
necro again.

breakbeer, how did you go with this one? i'll be trying something similar soon.

any others have a decent AG corona rip-off?

cerveza.jpg

Cerveza
Cream Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 12.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.0 (EBC): 5.9
Bitterness (IBU): 18.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.500 kg Polenta (10%)
0.500 kg Rice (10%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Galena Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

----------------
Cook rice and polenta to a runny mush (around 45 minutes, stir often).
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17°C with Danstar BRY-97 - American West Coast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

You can dump all the mush into the mash, but to get a quicker conversion, you can stir a kilo of your base grain into the mash to get to 71 degrees and the alpha amylase will zap it very quickly, then you can combine everything in the main mash at 64 degrees.
If you haven't got Galena, don't worry.. I've used other US hops such as Chinook and they come out ok, just use very very little, don't want to go over 20 IBU.

Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
cerveza.jpg

Cerveza
Cream Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 12.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.0 (EBC): 5.9
Bitterness (IBU): 18.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.500 kg Polenta (10%)
0.500 kg Rice (10%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Galena Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

----------------
Cook rice and polenta to a runny mush (around 45 minutes, stir often).
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17°C with Danstar BRY-97 - American West Coast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

You can dump all the mush into the mash, but to get a quicker conversion, you can stir a kilo of your base grain into the mash to get to 71 degrees and the alpha amylase will zap it very quickly, then you can combine everything in the main mash at 64 degrees.
If you haven't got Galena, don't worry.. I've used other US hops such as Chinook and they come out ok, just use very very little, don't want to go over 20 IBU.

cheers bribie. taste-wise how did it come out? that recipe looks pretty nice (pretty vague question i know sorry)

I brewed it for the S.I.L. who is a rusted on Corona drinker (Southern Highlands Hipster although he doesn't have any Alpacas yet ) :ph34r:
Passed the test.
I don't actually mind Corona, certainly beats the crap out of wannabees like Great Northern or XXXX Summer LagerLout

How cool is it when you add your base malt to the cereal mash. Goes from shoulder killing glug, to liquid in about 10 seconds haha.

Bribie, how long does the head last on that one?

Bribie G said:
I brewed it for the S.I.L. who is a rusted on Corona drinker (Southern Highlands Hipster although he doesn't have any Alpacas yet ) :ph34r:
Passed the test.
I don't actually mind Corona, certainly beats the crap out of wannabees like Great Northern or XXXX Summer LagerLout
Southern Highlands Hipster? Most here are Southern Highlands Hip-replacement age.

Head's not bad, but nothing like my all malt UK beers.

mckenry, guy in question's wife has had a hip replacement :p

Bribie G said:
Passed the test.
Haha I read that as "Sister In Law" and then saw "he" and figured you were being subtle! Haha

I have been asked about 50 times to do either corona or bud.. Because (and I quote) "they're the best beers EVER!".. I just keep telling them there's too many other beers I want to brew!

light lagers like corona seem to get a lot of flac on these forums but i'm keen to try and make one as close as possible. it's easy making ales with tonnes of hop flavour, but i think brewing a clean lager says a lot more about precision and patience with brewing; among other things. very little room for error.

slight grave dig, but still relevant now that summer is coming up :)

I read a fair few threads on this style of beer, and I'm sorta wondering about the polenta now...

I came up with 80% Pale, 20% Polenta. I added a theoretical 21.5 IBUs worth of 2012 Galena hops (so probably a fair bit less) at 60min.
This is being fermented using US-05.

I just had a quick test to check on how the gravity is dropping, and now sitting at 1.030 it's plotting along nicely.

I was hoping to ask, the flavour of nachos is pretty forward from the polenta in this particular sample, will that mellow out in your opinions?
I'm hoping it will, or lime will be a definite feature of this one LOL

Cheers
Martin

Might have to have a go at something like this.

Might be before or after I do a Japanese rice lager.

seehuusen said:
I was hoping to ask, the flavour of nachos is pretty forward from the polenta in this particular sample, will that mellow out in your opinions?
I'm hoping it will, or lime will be a definite feature of this one LOL
For anyone looking at this down the road, I now have the answer to my question regarding the corn flavor in the beer.
Once it attenuates out more, and becomes less sweet, and as a result the corn flavor is subdued substantially. Right now the beer is sitting at 1.014 and still fermenting away.

Regarding the lime feature I mentioned, I made a double batch of this beer, and I'm strongly considering adding lime zest to one of the fermenters to see how that turns out.
I'll do a search and read up on that, I'm not too sure how to treat it, how much I'll need for a 19-20L batch, nor how long I will have to leave it in there for...
I was even thinking of adding a couple of whole coriander seeds to it as well, but I'm not 100% sure about that yet...

Cheers,
Martin

Corona is 40 per cent rice, 10-12 IBU with a noble hop (Protz). If you want a nice summer lager / ale, then corn is great. If you want Corona, I'd leave it out and just go with 60/40 pils / flaked rice and then wave a picture of a Hallertau cone over the kettle.

Back