Ag 'corona Style' Knockoff - Flamesuit On!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opposition

Reaction score
Evening all,

A mate wants to brew with me, and wants something along the lines of corona (god knows why, but thats not the point.....)

Could i please get some opinions on the below (and please keep it on topic and not about how i should just bottle cats piss etc...)

Style: Premium American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 45.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 68.57 %
2.00 kg Corn, Flaked (2.6 EBC) Grain 22.86 %
0.75 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 8.57 %
25.00 gm Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.75 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 22.84 L of water at 70.1 C 64.0 C

Cheers.

The Crystal malt won't be right I don't reckon. Replace that with carapils and you'll be getting close IMO.

Even as carapils it would be too much in my opinion. I'd drop it completely and sub all or half the corn for rice. Otherwise, sounds great.

I'd drop out the crystal too. I don't think you need any spec malt - just pilsner, adjunct and a good lager yeast.

My recent experience with 2007 resulted in slight apple flavours which I'd prefer to avoid. I have read it is a characteristic specific to that yeast rather than necessarily stressed yeast. I do pick up a bit of the same in commercial corona but I'm not sure it's a character of the beer I'd want to emulate.

Can't help you as well as I'd like.

The other lager yeasts I've used are probably a bit malt forward for what you want. I think the danish lager yeast might work well - otherwise a simple dried yeast. Have to say though that I haven't tried the danish and my use of dried lager yeast was yonks ago in my extract brewing days so chase up as much info as you can from others. There will be someone here who has used the danish who can give better info.

I've used budvar 2000 which is great but as I said - malty.

+1 ditch the crystal

S-189 dried lager yeast or US-05 @ 14C

What about the swiss lager yeast - it's pretty clean fermenting?

edit - seemax beat me to it

Here are the changes....

Still open to opinions.

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
6.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 79.75 %
1.65 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 20.25 %
24.00 gm Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Total Grain Weight: 8.15 kg
60 min Mash In Add 21.27 L of water at 70.1 C 64.0 C

drop the pilsner malt to 55% & add 25% corn... will put you right on the money B)

cheers Ross

How's this?

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
5.30 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 56.99 %
2.40 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 25.81 %
1.60 kg Corn, Flaked (2.6 EBC) Grain 17.20 %
25.00 gm Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU

Total Grain Weight: 9.30 kg
60 min Mash In Add 24.27 L of water at 70.1 C 64.0 C

55% pils...25% corn....20% rice.....

cheers Ross

Ready to brew this on the weekend.

Would anyone recommend a mash temp for this beer....

I was thinking 64c.

Opinions please!

Single infusion IMHO aint going to do it, you need to do a step mash of some sorts to convert all those Adjuncts , otherwise Temp is good.
For the yeast... Im going to throw WLP940 Mexican Lager into the mix.

Single infusion IMHO aint going to do it, you need to do a step mash of some sorts to convert all those Adjuncts , otherwise Temp is good.
For the yeast... Im going to throw WLP940 Mexican Lager into the mix.

+1 with Taz here - if using a huge amount of adjunct you would be advised to do a cereal mash first, as they do in the USA and also I'm sure at Corona. This "pre-digests" the adjuncts by using the alpha amylase of a portion of the base malt which you add, converting the gelatinised starches of the adjuncts - then you tip them (at appropriate temp) into the main mash so that the main mash doesn't scream "WTF". ;)

In your case with your fearsome adjunct bill, I would get a stockpot or three, bring the adjuncts to around 73 degrees in a fairly thick mash and stir in about 20% of the dry base pilsener malt, stirring like buggery. The Alpha amylase attacks in less than a minute and the thick mash then turns into a sort of soup. Amazing. Then let it cool to the temp of the main mash, in your case 64 degrees and pour it in. Like feeding babies on Gerbers as opposed to HJ Whoppers :lol:

Don't worry about using up some of the base malt, plenty of enzymes left to go around - decoction mashes boil up to 2/3 of the base malt and kill the enzymes, but obviously no harm done.

Interesting to learn it's possible to use that much adjuncts, I would have thought it was only 20% or something.

Any pictures of this corona clone to see how close it is in colour with all that adjunct?

Bjorn

Don't worry about using up some of the base malt, plenty of enzymes left to go around - decoction mashes boil up to 2/3 of the base malt and kill the enzymes, but obviously no harm done.

Since the successive thirds are diluted by the portions of boiled mash added back I suspect it is somewhat less than two thirds of the enzymes that are actually ruined.

Not to detract from the spirit of your post, however.

ALthough I must admit to drinking many corona's and Sols back in the day ... and still a fan :) ... I need to pass on a tip that was passed down to me years ago for all the wannabe corona clone brewers.. use a squeezie bottle of lemon juice (the one you pick up from Woolies or Coles at the seafood section ) into the fermentor prior to either bottling beer for the true original Corona flavour !! If kegging drop it str8 into keg !!

Back