Ag #4

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
Hello Brewers,
They say the great thing about AG brewing is being in full control of the end result and produce a beer that can be unique, to suit your taste. So at this early stage in my AG career I decided to remove the floaties and dive in head first into the deep end of the pool. I want to brew a house ale that is mainly aussie in character, but with not too subtle hop flavour. So what I decided to do was use pale ale malt and pilsener (sourced from posts here Stu!) and go from there. I wanted to use PoR as the main hop ingredient for the aussie thing. Here is what I came up with.

Batch size 20L

2kg pale malt
2kg pilsener
1kg carapils

mash at 67.8 for 60min

25gm PoR 60min
15gm PoR 25min
10gm PoR 2min
20gm Cascade 2min

60min boil for an estimated OG of 1.056 and 43.3 IBU

Yeast WLP001 Californian Ale

Well, I managed to get within 4 points of the OG, I was pretty happy with that, however, I only allowed a loss to trub of 1 litre, and when I ended up 2 litres short of the 20, realised it should have been 3L. The wort tasted quite bitter, but I am a fan of bitter beers so we will see how it goes. I can't wait to taste it and plan phase 2.

brewery.JPG

Here is the Brewery, note the Timber frame ( I'm an ex-chippie)

hops.JPG

Hop additions ready to go

tun.JPG

Here is my tun with floating fibreglass insulator, the hole is for the thermocouple probe to pass though. The tun looses about 1C per hour.

cheers

Browndog

Good onya Browndog :excl:

With that mash temp,and 1kg :eek: of carapils your beer should have plenty of body to balance the IBU's.

Thats A LOT of POR . I only used 18gms/9.0% AA ( @60min) for 22ltrs with 14grms at 20Mins of cascade.

Was thinking of droping it 2-3 IBU for a max of 25 IBU

browndog said:
View attachment 6213

Hop additions ready to go

Dude that is too organised. Don't you know you get the pellets out of the freezer and weight them 30 sec before they are due in the boil ?
How many of those containers do you have ? Do you have enough for the mega IPA's where you have hop editions every 5 mins :p

Well done Browndog. Planned organised and done. The 6 P's. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. You'll go a long way.

Beers,
Doc

Thats A LOT of POR . I only used 18gms/9.0% AA ( @60min) for 22ltrs with 14grms at 20Mins of cascade.

Was thinking of droping it 2-3 IBU for a max of 25 IBU

mow that looks like a good recipe.

1.056 and 43 IBU will be a great strong bitter ale.

I dont know about the 1 KG of carapils though?

Try using a bit more pils and ale malt and 500g JW caramalt. Drop the carapils. Mash at 67 deg.

ooooo its nice. lovly sweet malt flavour that really compliments a strong bitterness. Helps with the POR flavout too.

Also, try dropping the cascade (sorry but i am an "anti cascade" brewer) and chuck in some northdown!!! great aroma!

cheers

Time will tell Stu, I can back it off on the next one if I find guests faces puckering from the first taste. And Doc, even with the hops divvied up into containers I can still forget when to make an addition, I reckon I need to program a timer to blast an air raid siren to remind me of when to make additions. Tony thanks for the advice and I'll remember your recommendations for the next attempt.

cheers

Browndog

Back