Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXX Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. I've spoken to a few of you guys over the phone, hi Ross.

Anyway what I want to know is when is it best to areate the wort. Before pitching the yeast or after....and for how long?

And one more thing a little off topic (I'll know I'll open a can of worms) which is best fly sparging or batch sparging?

Thanks in advance.

Welcom Aboard,

The Wyeast FAQ has some recommendations on how to aerate your wort and how long for

www.wyeastlab.com

I dont' think it makes a difference if you aerate before pitching or directly after, ie. it doesn't bother the yeasties to get stirred up. For simplicity it's best to thrash in some oxygen around the time of pitching and seal up - it doesn't really matter how you do it either.
I used an airstone for a while but found it too much mucking around so I'm back to the vigorous spoon method - I'm not sure who said it but it was best expressed; "stir like the terrorists have taken your sister and her life depends on it".

I once experimented with additional aeration over the first 12 hours during the yeasts growth phase and BEFORE active fermentation. The intent was to maximise the yeast population for a high gravity beer. It would have increased my risk of infection, but did nothing detectable for the beer.

You want to airate before or just after pitching makes no difference. Just don't do it 3 days after pitching, the yeast need the oxygen early on not later.

Sparging ... up to you each has advantages and disadvantages. Personally I fly sparge because I hate recirculating.

I am trying this instead or airating at the moment. No idea how well it will work but I am growing up a batch of munich lager yeast with it that will go in a 10gal batch of lager :) I hope it works as it suits my lazy style of brewing.

I batch sparge. Quicker and less gear needed. Suits me. Some say you get better results with fly sparging, but I haven't noticed it with other brews I've tried. Both ways can make great beer.

I'm a no chiller, and my 'aeration' involves tipping the contents of a cube into the fermenter and letting it splash like mad. I tip in half, add the yeast to the fermenter, seal the cube and give the remainder a good shake, then add that to the fermenter. Works for me. I get fast starts and good attenuation.

I have been fly sparging but it is quite time consuming but the guy who showed me done it this way and i just seem to follow.

I airate just after pitching by placing my large plastic spoon into my drill and crank it up. It splases like mad and foams up to the brim of my fermenter and it just too easy. No sweating or swearing just as long as there is nothing on the drill that may fall off into your fermenter :(

Is all good do what YOU think is easier and take it from there.

JasonY,
I am trying this instead or airating at the moment. No idea how well it will work but I am growing up a batch of munich lager yeast with it that will go in a 10gal batch of lager smile.gif I hope it works as it suits my lazy style of brewing.

Interested to know how this goes, sounds like a great way to provide the yeasties with oxygen. nice and quick too. be sure to post up your findings.

Pitch enough yeast and there should be no need to airate

I have a second-hand oxygen generator (used for home oxygen therapy) that makes about 5L/min of >95% pure oxygen from the air. I hook on some vinyl tube and a stainless sintered element, plop it in the drink and let it sparge for 5 mins to oxygenate.

Latest posts

Back