Aeration Or Am I On The Wrong Track?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like he said.

I've brewed many 1200 litre batches with dried yeast (rehydrated) and quite a few did not get any aeration other than being charged through the heat exchanger. Results were fine.

tdh

Yeah upon reading we're both right. HSA can theoretically release oxygen later staling the beer, much like introducing oxygen post fermentation. However, evidence for HSA on a homebrew scale is almost nonexistent, but a lot of us probably have first hand experience with post fermentation aeration problem.
Sammus.......Staling for me was a big problem in the early days until I got a handle on it. It drove me mad trying to pin it down until I was sorted out by those who knew better. I learnt to be very gentle with hot wort and so ended the lesson for me.

:chug:

Like he said.

I've brewed many 1200 litre batches with dried yeast (rehydrated) and quite a few did not get any aeration other than being charged through the heat exchanger. Results were fine.

tdh

Fair enough - good to know its not an issue. I'll still splash my cooled wort into my fermenter though - even if its just because its easier than syphoning the wort without splashing.

Its probably not a bad habit to be in anyway since I will eventually start to use liquid yeasts.

Thanks for the responses.
Andrew.

I'm careful not to splash as it's easy to do and it avoids potential future problems. Some people may not have an issue and I'm not one to tell them they're doing it wrong.

Pouring a cooled wort through a flour sifter aerates the bejezus out of it. So much so that fermenter headspace becomes and issue. I only do it for a quarter of the wort.

But I've found when I make a mega-starter that's already chewing away happily on sugaz in a fully aerated jug ... meh to aeration.

I've never Aerated my wort... am I stupid?

You can brew beer with no aeration, but you can brew GREAT beer with aeration.

Imagine trying to build a house with your mates whilst you are being straved of oxygen.. im pretty sure you will struggle todo a bang up job on it! Not to mention it will take longer. 2 valid reasons why you SHOULD aerate your wort.

My methods are -

Don't splash hot wort
Don't splash fermented beer
It doesn't matter if you do or don't splash if using dried yeast
Splash like crazy if using liquid yeast (or re-using any yeast slurry)

tdh

I pour cooled wort through a strainer to remove the hop residue and break material (or some - it doesn't get it all). I then whisk the wort for a minute or two. Works fine.

Latest posts

Back