Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche (oak)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a really well integrated rauchbier. Not as in-your-face smoky as the other Schlenkerla's but really nicely balanced with mild smoke. Reminded me of a Canadian breakfast with pancakes, bacon, maple syrup etc. The oak lends nicely to the depth of the beer. It's fantastic stuff.

No idea if it'll make it's way to Oz though?

I have 3, 5L demijohns full of a 9% old ale that i brewed almost a year ago resting on diffrent oak. I used JD chips, Beam chips and american oak in each. They have been in the fridge for at least 8 months, as i have been too slack to syphon off and carb, but i figure it cant hurt it. I will be interested to see what flavour profile each wood gives off.

i think you will find them pretty close in flavour jigsaw. they all use american oak. if you want to try something different try hungarian oak. possibly not much oak flavour ether if they have been int he fridge as you need the cycling of temps from during the day to help the movement of liquid in to wood.

Latest posts

Back