Advice - Similar Flavour In Every Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugo

Reaction score
Evening all

I've been contending with a problem for a while now, that seems to produce a distinct flavour in every beer I brew. Not quite sure how to describe, but it seems to have some hints of sarsparilla or licorice. It's not overly offensive, but definitely not "clean". Last year it seemed to be associated with some significant over-carbonation problems, so I ramped up my sanitation regime, which seems to have improved the carb issue, but I can still taste the same flavour in every brew, regardless of the grain bill or hop schedule.

Am I dealing with a brett infection?

I have a shite palate so it's hard to describe, but I remember seeing some previous posts about some experienced guys who are happy to provide critical feedback on samples sent throught the post (trust me - it's not good enough to warrant putting your hand up for the sake of a free beer!).

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Hugo

G'day Hugo,

Not sure how many beers or styles you are talking about here, but it might be more helpful for you if you post a few details;

Style of Beer
Brewing process - K&K, Partial, Ag etc
A recipe or two
Bottled or kegged

You get the idea... the more info you provide, the more helpful people can be :)

It's also a great thing to send a bottle or two to a comp. So what if you don't win anything, you're getting invaluable, unbiased feedback for your $7 odd dollars + postage.

Chhers :beer:

no reason why it has to be an infection, yeast handling could play a huge role, starter size? ferment temp? racking regime etc?

I have a shite palate so it's hard to describe, but I remember seeing some previous posts about some experienced guys who are happy to provide critical feedback on samples sent throught the post (trust me - it's not good enough to warrant putting your hand up for the sake of a free beer!).

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Hugo

Hugo,

Happy to give you feedback - Just send to the CraftBrewer Store address that you'll find on the front page of our website.

cheers Ross

Hugo,

Happy to give you feedback - Just send to the CraftBrewer Store address that you'll find on the front page of our website.

cheers Ross

Hi,

I have noticed that nearly every state in Oz has a beer comp / taste.....except NSW.

Does anyone know of any forthcoming such events in this sad state?

Would Ross mind getting a sample of my wares?

Cheers

Hi,

I have noticed that nearly every state in Oz has a beer comp / taste.....except NSW.

Does anyone know of any forthcoming such events in this sad state?

Well the state comp this year had over 400 entries. :lol:

The Bitter and Twisted competition was run recently. ESB ran a comp earlier in the year.

There do not tend to be many comps run over the holiday season. Keep your ears open next year and you'll find there will be some comps run. I think we still have a way to go before being quite up to Victoria's standard, but things are not that grim here. :)

If its in every beer What is in every beer you brew ? Could it be the water? or do you treat your water?
Just first up thoughts. I see your details say 06 so when did this start to appear?
Daz

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. To provide a bit more info...

The problem started occuring about two years ago when I was doing partials. It has continued through a move to AG, which makes me think it's in my fermenting/handindling gear, not my brew pot (which is an old Malley's copper wash boiler). Beers have ranged in style from porters, IPA's to pales. Living a km above sea level, temps vary a great deal over seasons, but that doesn't seem to have an impact.

Will try and pop one in the post to Ross in the New year. I have a pale which needs a few more weeks, but a pre-emptive sample suggested a similar flavour profile.

cheers

Thanks for the thoughts thus far. To provide a bit more info...

The problem started occuring about two years ago when I was doing partials. It has continued through a move to AG, which makes me think it's in my fermenting/handindling gear, not my brew pot (which is an old Malley's copper wash boiler). Beers have ranged in style from porters, IPA's to pales. Living a km above sea level, temps vary a great deal over seasons, but that doesn't seem to have an impact.

Will try and pop one in the post to Ross in the New year. I have a pale which needs a few more weeks, but a pre-emptive sample suggested a similar flavour profile.

cheers

Dude are you sure it's simply not you ?your taste buds may be highly sensitive to certain things

Back