Advice Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
im thinking about my next beer but im not sure im on the right track. im planning on basing this on a coopers bavarian lager kit with a mini mash and some soft candi sugar. ive discussed this with stu and this is the idea so far
the kit, 1lb of candi sugar and a mini mash of 250g caramunich, and 1kg of Pilsner malt. then ill hop the mash with ether wurtenbuger or mt hood in the following amounts 15-20g at 30, 15 and 0. im planning on fermenting with 1388 at low temps
whats everyones thoughts?

so nobody has a thought on this strange?

im thinking about my next beer but im not sure im on the right track. im planning on basing this on a coopers bavarian lager kit with a mini mash and some soft candi sugar. ive discussed this with stu and this is the idea so far
the kit, 1lb of candi sugar and a mini mash of 250g caramunich, and 1kg of Pilsner malt. then ill hop the mash with ether wurtenbuger or mt hood in the following amounts 15-20g at 30, 15 and 0. im planning on fermenting with 1388 at low temps
whats everyones thoughts?

so you don't feel unloved, I think you should make the beer and if you like the results, drink it. And then put the recipe into the system.

so nobody has a thought on this strange?

I wouldn't have a clue about the mini mash, but I'd be inclined on a hops sched of:

15 @ 30
15 @ 10
10 @ 00

to ensure a good flavour and adding bitterness to balance your mini mash additions.

cheers guys i think it will end up happening but we will see what recipe end up ill post anyway

Looks good Barls............ ( I thought you were exclusively AG!!!!)

I am currently drinking the Bavarian which was mixed with around 300 gm of JW Cara and a couple of Hallertau additions. After a few weeks in the keg it's smoothing out reasonably well. Was done with the Wy Bavarian Lager.

I'm trying pseudo Belgian Blonde this week with a 1kg Pils plus some Carapils, not sure what hops to use yet, maybe try something flowery. I'm reculturing some Murrays Sassy Blonde (Trev assures me its the WY 1214), to use with this one, should be interesting

Looks good Barls............ ( I thought you were exclusively AG!!!!)

I am currently drinking the Bavarian which was mixed with around 300 gm of JW Cara and a couple of Hallertau additions. After a few weeks in the keg it's smoothing out reasonably well. Was done with the Wy Bavarian Lager.

I'm trying pseudo Belgian Blonde this week with a 1kg Pils plus some Carapils, not sure what hops to use yet, maybe try something flowery. I'm reculturing some Murrays Sassy Blonde (Trev assures me its the WY 1214), to use with this one, should be interesting
no only the odd wet pack and ones from isb brew days mate. mostly kits and extracts that i can get the recipe for. sounds good mate let me know how it goes

after some advice im going to change over to some light munich instead of the pils. also due to work commitments im going to have to put this on hold till i get back

no only the odd wet pack and ones from isb brew days mate. mostly kits and extracts that i can get the recipe for. sounds good mate let me know how it goes

Went into the keg last night. Was the fastest ferment I've had in a while. I pitched about a 1 litre stir plate of the yeast and it was pretty much through it in 3 or 4 days and seemed to be pumping out a lot of the hop aroma with the usual ferment smells.

I haven't used my filtration setup for a while coz I unfortunately put the filter cartridge away without being completely dry (end result a mouldy cartridge :angry: ). Tried the replacement with this brew and had some trouble with it in that it didn't seem to be filtering much at all!!!!

Anyways it's in the keg + a handfull of bottles and it's tasting pretty good.

Now for an APA and a Porter :party:

i might have to try and swap something in my cupboard for a bottle of it at the next meeting so i can give it a try

I did 2 Mini Mashs on the trot. My advise (if not too late) is don't. I used the best kits and all. Its drinkable but does not touch my usual standard.

giving this a go in the next couple of days providing i can get the yeast to kick on

just mashing the grain now, it crushed alright with the marga and me winding. (note to self get gf or little kid to help when i comes to milling grain)
just divided out the hops as well. this should be interesting to see how it goes

31082007059.jpg

31082007060.jpg

here are some pics as i know you all like them

im doing alright just finished mashing and the program im using had it at 1029 and i came out at 1031 at 10L. not bad for my first effort what do you all think

here is my recipe
experimental belgian
Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 10.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 6.00 l
Volume Transferred: 6.00 l Water Added To Fermenter 14.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.029 SG Expected OG: 1.048 SG
Expected FG: 1.010 SG Apparent Attenuation: 78.6 %
Expected ABV: 5.1 % Expected ABW: 4.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 22.9 IBU Expected Color: 24.7 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 30.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
German Munich Malt 1.00 kg 29.4 % In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 0.25 kg 7.4 % In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.70 kg 50.0 % End Of Boil
Sugar - Candi Sugar Dark 0.45 kg 13.2 % End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
US Mount Hood 4.5 30 g Loose Whole Hops 30 Min From End
US Mount Hood 4.5 30 g Loose Whole Hops 15 Min From End
US Mount Hood 4.5 15 g Loose Whole Hops At turn off

Yeast
Wyeast 1388-Belgian Strong Ale

i even managed to be with in 3 of the expected reading on my first go

currently at 1031 and sitting at 17 degrees and fermenting slowly, im tempted to break out the heat belt. what everyones thoughts on this

now ccing in my fridge it finished at 1011, it ended up with not much aroma so dryhopped it with 30g of mt hood

well i bottled this today after 2 weeks of conditioning, it only got 1 week in a fridge as my new fridge shit itself after a week. we will see how it turns out it tasted alright and has a nice golden honey colour

Back