Advice Needed regarding SG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started brewing with All Grain and was after a bit of advice.

I brewed 2 beers last week and the SG on both of them seems a little high after taking a refractometer reading.

The first is an IPA which had an estimated OG of 0.065. I messed up a bit and got an OG of 0.075. The reading after a week was 0.040

The second is an Imperial Porter which should had an estimated OG of 0.082, I got 0.084. The reading after a week was 0.050

I did my yeast calculations using Mr Malty and pitched 1.2 litre starters each containing 2 vials of WL0007 (this was taking into account the best before date).

I know airlock activity is no indication but this has dropped to about one bubble every 5-10 minutes, after I took the reading I gave the kegs which I am fermenting in a gentle swirl. Both beers temperatures are showing 68 -70 degrees which I believe is ideal for this yeast strain

I suppose my question is, are these reading normal after a week or should they be lower?

Any advice would be appreciated

Are they the actual refrac readings , or have you already converted them ?

Being picky but should be 1. OXX, not 0.OXX

Where are you. 68-70 fermentation temp? Is that in degrees Fahrenheit?

Refractometer readings on fermenting beer will give you a wrong reading, the alcohol skews the SG, and makes it appear higher.

You have to plug the refractometer reading into an online calculator, or beersmith, and it will give you the proper SG.

Bridges said:
Where are you. 68-70 fermentation temp? Is that in degrees Fahrenheit?
Must be making steam beer. :p

ricardo said:
Thanks for the link, yeah it shows 1.000, I calibrated it with distilled water
Had a look at the link and haven't a clue where to put my info in. If I had an OG 1.084 and it is now 1.050 what does that make it with the correction. Any guidance on that calculator would be appreciated

I used beersmith .
The link converts sg to brix needed for the beersmith tool.
If you don't have beersmith google a conversion tool.

Ricardo, convert your current reading into brix in the first step. Then enter your SG and the converted reading in the second calculation and it will give you the corrected SG and alcohol content.

For example, the brew beginning at 1.075 now reads 1.040, use the first tool to convert 1.040 into brix (it's10 brix).
In the second calculation, enter 1.075 and 10 brix. It will calculate a corrected SG of 1.018 (7.6% alcohol).

Do you have a hydrometer handy?

Guys thanks for your help, I've calculated the new SG's and have the following

Porter 1.027 - target 1.020
IPA 1.016 - target 1.012

It seems the correction on the refractometer I was referring to was temperature.

Hopeful both will be ready by the end of the week

Regarding the IPA, I had a target OU of 1.065 and ABV of 7%. Seeing as I overshot the OG at 0.075 do you reckon this is almost finished at 0.016 - ABV 7.8% ?

Back