Adjusts Affecting Your Fg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've got a question in regard to how dextrose will affect the FG of a brew.

I was always under the impression that dextrose fermented out completed and as such would only increase the initial gravity, not the final. However plugging in some dextrose into a recipe on beersmith, seems to increase the FG as well.

What are people's thoughts on this? Am I wrong in my assumption?

Also I left the title generic to all adjucts in case others wanted to discuss some of the other adjucts.

Thanks, Dave.

I thought that dextrose left some fermentables behind leaving a fuller mouth feel than cane sugar and that was why it was used. I only use it for carbonation so im not 100% on this and im sure some will know for sure.

I'm under the impression that cane sugar (sucrose) is the one that left behind the unfermentables (fructose) and that the glucose/dextrose was the part that entirely fermented away in the cane sugar.

Maybe dextrose does add to body, which is why BeerSmith increases the anticipated FG when it is added. It's just I always recalled reading that it doesn't. I best double check. (time to hit the books B) ).

Dextrose ferments completely. Beersmith ESTIMATES the FG based on the attenuation of the yeast chosen in the ingredients, not by anything else.

Back