Adivce On Por Only Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10246

Reaction score
Made a brew as below, using only POR pellet Hops which I based on This

I tried it the other day & it seems to taste ok, but the smell aint real nice at all. I know most ppl don't like POR, particularly the pellets, it was a bit of an experiment really.

So I was looking for some advice for either this one, or future brews.

Should I:
  • [a]Add some dry hops to the keg for some more pleasing aroma
    Wait for it to settle out
    [c]Water the lawn with it
    [d]Other

Has been in the keg for about 3 weeks, in the fridge for about 5 days.

Cheers
Goldy
Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 31.82 l

Post Boil Volume: 27.06 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.02 l   

Bottling Volume: 23.02 l

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 73.5 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt				   Name									 Type		  #		%/IBU		 

5.40 kg			   Pale Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.3 EBC Grain		 1		100.0 %	   

9.00 g				Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - First Wort  Hop		   2		9.6 IBUs	  

20.00 g			   Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 45.0 m Hop		   3		17.7 IBUs	 

12.00 g			   Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop		   4		2.3 IBUs

Nothing that 20g of Citra popped into the keg won't fix!

Not many great beers use POR late in the boil. Not many beers at all really.

Nothing that 20g of Citra popped into the keg won't fix!

Not many great beers use POR late in the boil. Not many beers at all really.

The Citra is probably your best bet!

I made an all POR pale with a 60, 20, 10 and 0 minute additions and it wasn't terrible, but its not something I'm going to repeat. It certainly wasn't a great beer. Late hopping with POR isn't out of the question, as they are quite floral and fresh, but they do have an underlying harshness that really doesn't fade.

G'day Goldy,

just wondering (and certainly not implying anything) but how did you go with hitting all your targets with that aussie ale?

Looks like it's based very closely on Tony's aussie ale recipe. This is one of my house beers, as it's an absolute cracker.

I'm actually half way through a glass of it right now would you believe....

Might be that you don't like POR hopped beers....I have tried so many times to do a hersbrucker hopped lager and every one of them i've had to "fix" in the keg with other hops. I don't think i like it as a hop (waits to be slapped by brewing community)..

EDIT: Do you generally like Coopers type beers as an example? This certainly isn't a clone by any stretch (i actually much prefer this recipe over a coopers beer) but it does share some remarkably close characteristics.) In fact, if it was brewed with recultured coopers yeast, you'd be retardedly close to a CPA clone....

cheers,

Nath

Thanks guys, I have some galaxy, centennial & some amarillo around I think.

Nath, from memory, the numbers were fine mate. As I said, was kinda an experiment, so all a bit of fun.

I do like coopers beers too, is kinda where i got the idea to try this out.

Also, this is a BIAB no chill brew.

Cheers
Goldy

The Citra is probably your best bet!

I made an all POR pale with a 60, 20, 10 and 0 minute additions and it wasn't terrible, but its not something I'm going to repeat. It certainly wasn't a great beer. Late hopping with POR isn't out of the question, as they are quite floral and fresh, but they do have an underlying harshness that really doesn't fade.

So, is this a commando type thing? Never tried this one before

So, is this a commando type thing? Never tried this one before

It was basically Dr Smurto's Golden ale grist with POR instead of Amarillo at the above addition times.

Sorry, meant about chucking hops into the keg. Do you just chuck some straight tin, or other method

Tie up the hops in a (clean) section of stockings. Maybe 15cm. Don't stuff it too tight as the hops will expand and you'll never get the knots untied to reuse the stockings.

I dip the stocking in starsan, chuck in the hops, tie it off and throw it right in the filled keg, then carbonate as usual. Some people weigh it down with marbles, but I've never bothered. Give it a couple of weeks to reach maximum deliciousness.

Super Prides give a better aroma (according to the literature anyway.)

With POR you either need to keep the IBUS in the 20-22IBU range or age the beernote that Coopers Sparkling and Stout, made with the POR and to fairly high IBUs have a best after date.

Latest posts

Back