Adelaide Heat Killed My Hop Shoots!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
Went to grab the pushbike this morning to ride to work, and lo and behold the 43 degree heat yesterday resulted in all the ends of my hop bines drying up.

Interestingly the Hops in pots are fine, the ones on the trellis however have shrivelled dying ends on the bines.

So I dare say my plants will have to start sending up more shoots as these ones wont grow up any more... :(

Affected plants - POR, Chinook & Cluster.

No pics taken yet, will post something tonight.

Hit mine too, anything that was close to the ground of the fence. But since I found the burnt ends last night and this morning new shoots have appeared and grow a good 5 centimetres or more :beerbang:

They will survive.

Just thought Id let you know mine are thriving,mind you here in Denmark W.A its been pouring down and about 20.c max so Ive got cascades now about 6mteres high E.K.G are kicking off,Perle and Fuggles be about 3 meters. This lower end of the country is made for hops ,they use to grow them in the old days apperently. But I do sympathise with you guys at the moment trying to cope with those heatwave conditions,Good luck

Hit mine too, anything that was close to the ground of the fence. But since I found the burnt ends last night and this morning new shoots have appeared and grow a good 5 centimetres or more :beerbang:

They will survive.

That is good news mate, I shall inspect further tonight, and give them a good watering too if the rains dont arrive!

Mine died off last year in the 45C Melbourne heat wave. I was overseas at the time and the person looking after my house (and garden) probably didn't water/protect them as diligently as I would have. They're back this year tho, and stronger than ever. I redesigned my trellis using PVC encased wire mesh, and got it off my brick wall by 6"-8". Mesh was $37 from bunnings in a 10m roll (approx 120cm wide, from memory). I have ample in reserve if flowering left/right requires more room.

Pic from '08:
hop08.jpg

'09 with PVC wire:
hop09_1.jpg
hop09_2.jpg

These were shot about 10 days ago.. and today, the shoots are well over my head.. The hops seems to like the ability to spread out, too.. with the addition of mesh that runs left to right, they've bushed right out.. looking beautiful for this year (yeah, I might get 250g if I'm lucky).

So, what is your trellis made of? Could the material have scorched your shoots? Are they close to a wall (or other reflective/heat source) where your potted hops aren't?

Cheers,
reVox

Revox, nice setup there!

I have twine hanging from an elevated horizontal piece of rope, and it is located about a metre from the colourbond shed wall. So scorching from the shed should not be a huge issue imo.

The hops in pots are against the house bricked wall and are fine - which is suprising.

Maybe the hops in the ground started to dry out a bit? Will check further tonight.

Lost all my bine tips over the last 2 weeks with the last ones gone yesterday, despite 90% block shade cloth on heatwave days and even an old blanket yesterday to shield the hops from the radiant heat coming from the shed they are growing against, it didn't matter they just wilted and fell limp.

The only difference from last season is that the hops made it 3m high before the first heatwave and then cooked, this year they got about shoulder height. I can only hope to gain something from the lateral growth thats left or any new shoots, but considering technically we haven't even started summer yet its beginning to feel a little hopeless <_<

BB

Lost all my bine tips over the last 2 weeks with the last ones gone yesterday, despite 90% block shade cloth on heatwave days and even an old blanket yesterday to shield the hops from the radiant heat coming from the shed they are growing against, it didn't matter they just wilted and fell limp.

The only difference from last season is that the hops made it 3m high before the first heatwave and then cooked, this year they got about shoulder height. I can only hope to gain something from the lateral growth thats left or any new shoots, but considering technically we haven't even started summer yet its beginning to feel a little hopeless <_<

BB

You could almost say it's beginning to feel a little hopless.

May your hops grow back bigger and better than ever :beer:

BB

I feel your pain. Lost my entire 9 variety hop garden pretty much to the same thing, except toss in an earwig population explosion to weaken everything and you have the same result <_<

Even had a garden table over some hops to have 100% sun block :p but no go, heat cooked em'.

Focusing on cuttings now which reduces my hop variety count to 1, cascade. Will see if I can nurse it through a year indoors in a pot.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Feel like holding out a cup and crying hops for the poor :p

I feel your pain. Lost my entire 9 variety hop garden pretty much to the same thing, except toss in an earwig population explosion to weaken everything and you have the same result <_<

Even had a garden table over some hops to have 100% sun block :p but no go, heat cooked em'.

Focusing on cuttings now which reduces my hop variety count to 1, cascade. Will see if I can nurse it through a year indoors in a pot.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Feel like holding out a cup and crying hops for the poor :p

mate thats not good but the rhizome's are still in the ground you might just find that there will be new shoots comming up i have found that my plants last year kept on throwing up shoots all thru the growing season and only stopped when the days started to shorten so there might be hope left for everyone.

cheer's matho

I hope so!

The only one that seemed to be the most resistant was the Hersbrucker and it had a unique vertical rhizome planting recommended while all the others were horizontal plantings. Maybe that extra reach down into moist ground gave it an edge?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I have a POR that is going great guns growing up wire on the tin fence and surrounded by a good dose of fresh chook poo on the weekend, the only affect the heat had was a slowing in groth. One thing I must say is that I water it twice daily most days as it is in the vegie patch and my vegies are only sprouts.

Withthis rain tonight I expect it to take off in the next few days

Back