Adelaide Hbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the Jovial Monk still reads this forum?

His work is done here as everyone does use amber and brown malt in their porters now, mission accomplished! B)

How many Jovial monks does it take to change a light bulb?

It wouldn't be very hard to put up a better website then jovial monks, although to his credit I just noticed his prices are reasonble, that is proberly due to the tough competion around now which keeps such things as hop prices as low as possible.

The prices quoted on JM's website for hops are the same as they were 3 years ago.

I suspect he hasnt updated them yet. He still lists nelson sauvin hops as coming, that has been there since i last shopped with him, nearly 2 years ago.

$5.50 for 100g of NZ whole styrian or goldings flowers? Does he legally have to honour that price?

The prices quoted on JM's website for hops are the same as they were 3 years ago.

I suspect he hasnt updated them yet. He still lists nelson sauvin hops as coming, that has been there since i last shopped with him, nearly 2 years ago.

$5.50 for 100g of NZ whole styrian or goldings flowers? Does he legally have to honour that price?

ha just jumped on to the JM forum and saw your early day posts...oh how far you have come.

Give Wayne a call 72254555 at beerbelly, he has all the gear and goodies.

just quietly, if you mention my name to him, you`re sure to get a decent discount. ;)
Or something.

stagga.

I suspect he hasnt updated them yet.
I believe I paid close to $15 for 100g of czech saaz earlier this year in a pinch, not sealed properly, as the remainder of a 1kg bulk pack. I actually needed 200g, but got the rest from BeerBelly.

While he's a reasonable bloke, and he has some decent kit, I'll not be making the trip out there when BB is closer, and has cold, vacuum sealed hops... cheaper.

Well,

JM is just down the road from me, I still spend the time to go to BeerBelly, because I know it will be in stock if their website says it is. It will be in the best condition possible, and I'm not going to get lectured on what I should or shouldn't be putting in my beer.

Himzo.

I just can't resist posting a rumplestiltskin joke.

Whats the difference between The Jovial Monk and a scud missile?

Nothing they are both offensive and inacurate!

How many Jovial monks does it take to change a light bulb?

Boom Boom :excl: Obviously you are mates from way back :lol:

Any chance its still the same stock?? :ph34r:

BYB

Oh yeah .. the vacuum sealed hops at BB are great! Although the monk divvies them out 1g at a time which is also nice.
And the crush is better at BB.

What`s going on with Brad and Voosher {ex Grumpies}?
Are they no longer running the shop they took over?
If they are, how come no one mentions the place?

stagga.

I bought some stuff from Still Brewing not long ago. Some of the best prices on hops in the land. I'll definitely use them again. Good bunch of blokes too which is always a bonus.

They are running "stillbrewing"
http://stillbrewing.com.au/

They don't have the shop at grumpies anymore.

Thanks.
If the site is up to date, their hops range is pretty good prices. Haven`t looked at the rest yet.
Good luck to both of them, they were both good blokes at Grumps.
Aaaah Grumpies Forum....... what a pleasant stroll down memory lane.
{ :lol: for most}

stagga.

They moved the operation over to stilbrewing at around the same time the grumpys forum went wotsit up. They sometimes get overlooked a bit when talking about retailers in adelaide, which is a shame...I've bought from them in the past, the prices and service were great, and as said, they're nice blokes too. Phil talked me through the grain selections for my very first AG, when I still didnt know my A from my elbow. ;)

I bought some stuff from Still Brewing not long ago. Some of the best prices on hops in the land. I'll definitely use them again. Good bunch of blokes too which is always a bonus.

I was wondering also about their hop prices. They / most seem very well priced. But how old is their stock, I did notice some of their hops have a special price on them which could indicate that they are of the older variety.

BYB

Has anyone been to Grumpy's of late? I haven't for ages, not as much of a drawcard without the brewshop or forum there. I wonder how Yiros the goat and Australia's fattest pigeon are going, or if there is still some hop plants roaming around the front fence....

I go quite often,

Sadly Yiros passed away a little while back, an Kevin (the pidgeon) is currently in what might be called intensive care. Andy's wife, Barb is looking after him as per the Vets instruction an he looks like he may well pull through.

As for the business it self, it's getting quite busy of late and you need to book to make sure you get a table, may be easier when the weather warms up.

Himzo.

Oh dear,

I remember when the HB community in Adelaide joined together and purchased at cost. Nowdays eems everyone is happy to pay heaps extra to deal with a shop front!!!

$95 for a bag or Weyermann Pils at BeerBelly I hear.

cheers

Darren

Ah those were the days weren't they mate? When people tried to help each other instead of attempting to undermine what everyone else was doing?

Oh dear,

I remember when the HB community in Adelaide joined together and purchased at cost. Nowdays eems everyone is happy to pay heaps extra to deal with a shop front!!!

cheers

Darren

Yeah that is a valid point , but it still pays to be independent and resourceful occasionally and not alienate suppliers. There are still bargains and avenues available that I have heard of and know doubt you yourself would know. Everyone has their own style / approach of making a point but I tend to keep mine to myself on most occasions so I may get the best outcome.

:icon_cheers:
BYB

Oh dear,

cheers

Darren
Ah those were the days weren't they mate? When people tried to help each other instead of attempting to undermine what everyone else was doing?

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Back